[comp.sys.sgi] Background /Versions of O.S.

BUG@campus.swarthmore.EDU (04/29/89)

Thanks for the reply, people from SGI.COM.  (For some reason, our mailer
can't parse your address; it may be the "!".)  I am running version 3.1
Rev. C,  not D, which we loaded soon after its release in January.  We have
a 4D/70 GE-38.  Perhaps I am not implementing the code correctly; I am not
sure what Gavin meant by running (under, with?) "/bin/sh--".  That command
seems to put me in a Bourne shell.  Whether or not I use it, the backgrounder
neglects to refresh icons and window margins.
   -Amy Bug, Swarthmore College (BUG@SWARTHMR)

gavin@krypton.SGI.COM (Gavin Bell) (04/29/89)

Yup, you need 3.1revD to run the background program I posted--
otherwise, it just acts like it is taking over the screen, and writes
on top of everything,

Sorry about the confusion about the '/bin/sh' -- I meant for you to
save part of my posting in a file (e.g. 'gavinposting') and then use
/bin/sh to run it by typing '/bin/sh gavinfile'-- it would have
automagically compiled and ran the program.

--gavin

tim@ZORAC.DCIEM.DND.CA (Tim Pointing) (04/29/89)

How do I tell which revision of the O.S. is running on my 4D/20. All it
says is "4D1-3.14711181642". I can see the 4D in there as well as the "3.1"
but is the rev in there too? People have been talking about Rev C and Rev D
but I can't tell what I have (except that a number of the programs which
have appeared in this mailing-list/newsgroup don't work!)

Thanks in advance,
Tim Pointing, DCIEM

tim@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca / uunet!zorac.dciem.dnd.ca!tim / uunet!mnetor!dciem!tim

msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (04/30/89)

In article <8904291619.AA18057@zorac.DCIEM.DND.CA>, tim@ZORAC.DCIEM.DND.CA (Tim Pointing) writes:
> How do I tell which revision of the O.S. is running on my 4D/20. All it
> says is "4D1-3.14711181642". I can see the 4D in there as well as the "3.1"
> but is the rev in there too? People have been talking about Rev C and Rev D
> but I can't tell what I have (except that a number of the programs which
> have appeared in this mailing-list/newsgroup don't work!)

If all you see is a long string of numbers then you have release 3.1 Rev C
or earlier.  Starting with 3.1 Rev D the system banner says

	"IRIX System V Release 4D1-3.1x

where x is the revision letter.

--
	-Mark

djlinse@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Dennis Linse) (05/02/89)

In article <31649@sgi.SGI.COM> msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) writes:
>In article <8904291619.AA18057@zorac.DCIEM.DND.CA>, tim@ZORAC.DCIEM.DND.CA (Tim Pointing) writes:
>> How do I tell which revision of the O.S. is running on my 4D/20.
>
>If all you see is a long string of numbers then you have release 3.1 Rev C
>or earlier.

Well, now I know that our 4D/20 that arrived today (May 1) is running
release 3.1 Rev C.  Should this upset me?  Should a brand new machine
arrive with Rev D?  More simple (maybe :-), what are the big differences
between Rev C and Rev D?  (While I have been reading this group for a
while, it is only today that the difference seems important.  Funny how
a new machine will get ones attention.)

Thanks,
Dennis
--
Found at the top of a looonnng homework assignment:
   "Activity is the only road to knowledge"  G.B. Shaw