[net.micro] none

Li@Rutgers (12/17/82)

From:  Tony <Li@Rutgers>

Dave,
	I don't use PL/I a lot, so I don't really have a good basis
on which to base the following. I did use PL/I-80 to do some graphics
work for DRI. This involoved standard scientific type stuff, as well
as interfacing to assembly language modules.

	I found PL/I excellent for all of these things. The code
generation seems to be reasonable, and the interface to assembly is
also easy. The parameter passing mechanism is identical to that of
Microsoft Fortran (this is from memory, so could be wrong). The code
is generated in an in-line style, so that the object has a structure
isomorphic to the source. This is nice when you're trying to debug
stuff in assembly and want to know where you are.

	A note about Link-80. This is a companion to PL/I. It is a
true joy to use, and surpasses L80 in many ways. Basically, if
something generates a REL file, Link-80 can link it (given the symbol
table, of course). I've done things with it that the author says it
should not be able to do...

	All in all, this is some of DR's highest quality software.

Tony

-------

GOEKE@mit-mc.arpa (01/24/83)

From:  Robert F. Goeke <GOEKE@mit-mc.arpa>

	Our local experience with the 3M cartidge drives of super-high
density has been one of super-high frustration.  After 2 years of trying
to get them to work, with much vendor interaction, we gave up,

	For an alternative, I could suggest DEI.  We use a number of their
units to collect data at telescopes for later processing, and they seem to
work quite reliably, even after getting booted back and forth across the
country.

JDOS@mit-ai.arpa (02/09/83)

From:  John Paul McNamee <JDOS@mit-ai.arpa>

If Shawn@Ml sends more messages to INFO-xxx lists instead of
INFO-xxx-REQUEST asking to be removed from the list I think we
should all forward his messages right back to him.

BYTE@mit-mc.arpa (02/12/83)

From:  Roger L. Long <BYTE@mit-mc.arpa>

In addition, I've recently been helping my company decide who to port
UNIX with, and both Microsoft and Unisoft people say that they've
ported to the Lisa.  (Unisoft went on to say that their port was twice
as fast).

	-roger

Billw@sri-unix.arpa (02/28/83)

To: info-micro@brl

***** sri-unix:net.followup / whuxlb!rwu /  7:57 pm  Feb 24, 1983
Here, at long last, is a slightly condensed summary of the replies
I received to my request for information on "cheap" 1200 baud modems.
Please accept my apologies for taking so long to get this out.

>From mkg Tue Nov 23 23:28:38 1982 EST remote from whuxlb
Here is some good stuff I got on a company called US Robotics.  Sounds
pretty good but I haven't seen one myself.
  Marsh Gosnell

U. S. Robotics of Chicago, Ill. is offering the following new modems:
MICRO LINK 1200 - originate/answer operation
RS232 interface
1 year limited warranty
phone line cable and power supply included
phone line interface via RJ11C standard jack
1200 baud, full duplex, Bell 212 compatible
self-test, analog loopback
5 LED indicators on front panel
size:9.5"x5.5"x1.6"; weight 2lbs
COST: $449 (for BTL cost is $314)
(Note: This modem as well as the ones listed next have the voice/data
switch as a button on the front of the panel rather than a separate
switch connected to the modem via a cable ala Penril, Prentice, etc.)

AUTO LINK 1200 - ALL of the features of the Micro link 1200 plus
Auto-answer and 9 LED indicators;
COST: $499 (for BTL cost is $349)
size:same as Micro link 1200

AUTO LINK 212A - Same as Auto Link 1200 except it also has 300
bps operation like a Bell 212A;
COST: $549 (for BTL cost is $384)
size:same as Auto link 1200

AUTO DIAL 212A - All of the features of the Auto Link 212A plus
it has auto-dial;
COST: $599 (for BTL cost is $505)
The address of U. S. Robotics is 1035 West Lake Str., Chicago, IL 60607.
Their telephone number is (312) 733-0497.
D. A. Dixon
ihuxs!dixon
IH x5730 (312) 979-5730

>From npoiv!harpo!ihps3!ihldt!wrv (Bill R. Vogel) Tue Oct  5 13:04:50 1982
Subject: New Modem Review
Newsgroups: net.periphs

    I recently bought A pair of modems with which I am very pleased,
    so I thought I would pass some information on to the net.

    The modems are made by U. S. Robotics, Inc. on
    Lake street in Chicago.  They are 1200 baud only, but
    fully 212 compatible (in 1200 bd mode).  The "Micro Link", is not
    auto-answer.  It has 5 LEDs	on the front panel, and its cost (quantity
    one) is $449.00.  The other is called "Auto Link", and auto answers.
	It has 9 LEDs and goes for $549.00.  Both modems are powererd by small
    wall transformers.  Both have a DIP switch which closes DTR to +14
	for strange modem cable configurations.  Both have a dip switch which
	electrically reverses pins 2&3 of the RS232 cable.  Both plug into
	standard RJ11 type (modular) phone jack.

    Most important of all, they were delivered promptly, worked
    immediately upon plugging them in, and have been working
    perfectly ever since.  We have no complaints.  We use the
    "Auto Link" as a dial-up on our small 11/23, the other is used
    with a remote terminal.  I would recommend these modems to anyone.

                      -Bill Vogel                ......ihnss!ihldt!wrv
                       Bell Labs, Indian Hill    ...ihps3!ihldt!wrv

>From wolit Wed Nov 24 09:22 EST 1982 remote from rabbit
To: whuxlb!rwu harpo!rwu
Subj: cheap 1200 baud modem

Universal Data Systems' UDS-212LP is a 1200-baud-only, 212A-compatible modem
that sells for $445.  It is extremely simple to use:  has one switch
(data/talk) and an on-line light in front, two modular phone jacks
(one to the phone line in the wall, the other to the telephone
set) and an RS-232 D-connector in back.  The modem is powered from the
phone line, so needs no transformer (or any other power connection),
and is usable with a plain old telephone.  It's also very small (6"w x
9.25"l x 1.25"h).  About a zillion times more cost-effective than
renting a 212A from You-Know-Who.
We've purchased about half a dozen so far;  all have worked right out of the
box.
Available locally from Technimat, 500 Grand Ave, Englewood, NJ 07631.
	Jan Wolitzky, BTL MH x2998 rabbit!wolit

I just saw an ad for a 1200 baud modem for $550 that includes auto-dial and
auto answer, loop-test and 10 LED display.

		Multi-Tech Systems, Inc.
		82 Second Ave. SE
		New Brighton, MN 55112
	Phone:	(612) 631-3550

>From ihnss!stevenso Wed Nov 24 13:36:43 1982 remote from harpo
from ihnss!stevenso
to harpo!rwn
subj cheap modems

I've just acquired an Incomm A-212A 300/1200 modem (Incomm is based in
Wheeling IL). As the name implies it is a Bell 212 compatable modem. I
haven't had an opportunity to use it much yet , but it seems OK.
The price was about $350 which is pretty good for what you get.

Dan Stevenson
IH x4478
Date: Thu Nov 25 17:28:47 1982
To: utzoo!decvax!harpo!zeppo!whuxlb!rwu
Subject: modem

	Try novation inc (213)996-5060
400513	212 module	$395
490278	FCC certified phone line interface $99

		bill

>From harpo!floyd!forbin Wed Nov 24 15:22:01 1982 remote from zeppo
To: harpo!zeppo!whuxlb!rwu
Subject: Modems

I hear tell that there is an outfit in Dover which has bought up
a bunch of WECo 212-Ar modems from a weco manufacturing facility and
is selling them cheap (<200). thename of the place is SEEK electronics
(Surplus electronic equipment and komponents) and is on king st (?) in dover
N.J.

					brian rich
					floyd!forbin

Date: 28-Nov-1982 14:09:31-PST (Sun)
Subject: Re:  cheap 1200 baud modems?
To: sdcarl!sdcattb!sdcsvax!philabs!cmcl2!floyd!harpo!zeppo!whuxlb!rwu

take a look at the dc-hayes smartmodem.

>From harpo!npois!npoiv!hou5f!hou5d!dmk Tue Nov 30 12:16:46 1982 remote from zeppo
I recently saw a $600 (single quantity) 1200 baud direct connect modem
in one of those computer supply house catalogs (Inmac, etc) but don't
remember which catalog.  It had a modular plug and used the +48V supply
from the telephone line . (No line cord to plug in.)

That's the cheapest 212 compatable modem that I've seen.

			Dave Kahn
			Bell Labs, Holmdel x7026
----------

daemon@okc-unix.arpa (04/21/83)

From:  Daemon <daemon@okc-unix.arpa>

>From emmwm Thu Apr 21 09:32:27 1983 remote from uokvax
Subject: CP/M -> 6809 tools?
To: tinker!info-micro.brl@udel-tcp

I recently inherited an ADS 6809 CPU board (S-100), and would like to
to do development for it on my CP/M system. Pointers to tools for this
(assembler, linker, C-compiler, etc) would be much appreciated.

	<mike

KLUDGE@mit-mc.arpa (04/22/83)

From:  "James J. Frimmel,Jr." <KLUDGE@mit-mc.arpa>

Sanford@bbn-unix.arpa (04/26/83)

To: info-micro @ brl.arpa
Subject: please add me to your list
Date: April 26, 1983
CC: Sanford @ BBNCCF
Text: Please add me to the info-micro mailing list.  thank you.

curt sanford.

schoff@ddn1.arpa (04/28/83)

To: info-micro @ brl
Subject: ns16032
Date: March 29, 1983
cc:
Text: does anyone have a hardware design for
the ns16032?  I would like one I could wire-wrap
and test.  I have the listing for ns's monitor
so I guess I could burn that into PROM.

thanks

marty

schoff@ddn1.arpa (04/28/83)

To: info-micro @ brl
Subject: des
Date: April 18, 1983
cc: info-ibmpc @ isib
Text:

In reading IEEE computer I noticed that they say that DES is fast
enough such that an 8bit micro can perform it in 100 milliseconds.
my questions are 100msec per what?  the other thing I would be interested
in would be does anyone know of a C implementation such that I could use
DES to encrypt my micro-ftp's on the fly, (I don't care if it slows it down)

schoff at bbnu

daemon@okc-unix.arpa (05/04/83)

From:  Daemon <daemon@okc-unix.arpa>

>From emmwm Wed May  4 13:58:05 1983 remote from uokvax
Subject: Re: Someone is using UNOS
To: tinker!info-micro.brl@UDel-TCP

Having just had a run-in with some UNOS users, I feel boliged to
comment.

First, UNOS is supposedly system-call compatable with Unix III. This
excludes a LOT of things that you expect to get with your Unix, like
the stdio library (or one of them, anyway).

To solve this, CRDS has supposedly bought a real Unix OEM license from
WECO, so that (in the future) they will be distributing all the things
that come we know and love. This should also pick up UUCP.

Finally: Yes, the UNOS shell is not compatable with any of the
`standard' Unix shells. This doesn't strike me as a problem. More
importantly, they have taken this chance to decrypt the names of the
standard Unix commands. This is a major win. Since this automatically
makes shell scripts not work, changing the shell is even less painfull.
And for those of you addicted to the short names that Unix uses, there
is an alias mechanism in the shell so you can  make your private
environment as ugly as you wish... (Aliasing is a VERY nice feature in
and of itself, anyway.)

	<mike

daemon@okc-unix.arpa (05/04/83)

From:  Daemon <daemon@okc-unix.arpa>

>From emmwm Wed May  4 14:13:45 1983 remote from uokvax
Subject: Re: The Horrible Operating System:  p-System.
To: tinker!info-micro.brl@UDel-TCP
Cc: emmwm,emjej

	   Everything on the p-System is nice: the assemblers (8080 & Z80
	& etc) the Pascal, the concurrency, the editor.

This is a statement of personal opinion, Dave. You may think that they
are all wonderful, but someone with different tastes (me, for instance)
may not like these things at all. (Note: I only saw the non-concurrent
Apple II version of USCD Pascal. Afterwards, I never wanted to see it
again).

Since I didn't play with the p-systems very long, I will ask what I
consider the key question: How easy is it to change these things? More
importantly, how easy is it to get rid of that (awfull, awfull, awfull)
command processor the p-systems use?

On CP/M, I can change all these things with ease (except for
adding concurrency - that is HARD!). I don't EVER use the CP/M
editor - I either use Mince or qed. I don't use the CP/M
assembler; I work in C, LISP or Fortran. And the default
command processor is ZCPR2 - but I could run the small shell
(Unix-like commands & output redirection), microshell (Full
I/O redirection & pipes), or the LISP shell I am working on
(runs inside my LISP system). Is this possible on the
p-systems?

	<mike

mikel (05/11/83)

#R:sri-arpa:-126600:ccvaxa:9400003:000:192
ccvaxa!mikel    May 10 07:34:00 1983

Just for information purposes, Charles Rivers Data Systems are coming out
with system 3 unix.  They are having someone else port it over.  Don't know
when it will be released.

Mikel Matthews

pgf (05/11/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site alice.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 13:32:34 EDT

Why am i seeing so many articles with subject "none" ?  Is this a lazy
user problem, or is the subject being lost somewhere.  Most of the articles
seem to be in net.micro.  	Paul Fox houxm!pgf

daemon@okc-unix.arpa@sri-unix.UUCP (05/20/83)

From:  Daemon <daemon@okc-unix.arpa>

>From emjej Fri May 20 11:29:18 1983 remote from uokvax
To: tinker!info-micro.brl@udel-tcp
Subject: Re: UNIX for micros

Gee, that's a shame. Unix eats resources (particularly swap devices,
as previous writers on Unix for personal computers have noted), and
I can't afford to feed it. I'd *far* rather see become prevalent
an operating system that makes better use of the available resources
while providing much of the functionality of Unix, such as, say,
Microware's OS-9 operating system (especially if they move it to the 68000).

						James Jones

%brl%jmturn:RG@BRL@sri-unix.UUCP (05/31/83)

Wanted:
A random number generator which yeilds short series of fairly
independant 8 bit numbers given 2 16 bit seeds. The algorithm must
be capable of being run on a Z80 in assembly. Short is defined as
10-50 number long series. Distribution should be linear.

					James

RG.JMTURN%MIT-OZ%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (06/02/83)

The mailer seems to be having problems with my sight. Please send
repsonses to my random number query to JMTURN@MC.

					James

KENW%usc-isid@sri-unix.UUCP (06/02/83)

This message is empty.

jlg@lanl-a.UUCP (06/02/83)

Please don't post notes without titles!

MBF%cmu-cs-c@sri-unix.UUCP (06/16/83)

From: MBF

First, on the Apple keyboard:

	Since many system designers, Apple probably included, simply
arrange their keyboards as 8x8 (or some such) matrices of keys and scan
them, the only way they can get "true" n-key rollover would be to put
a lot of diodes on the keyboard matrix to prevent the "key aliasing"
syndrome which occurs when three keys depressed simultaneously "look like"
a fourth key.  No matter that the software polling algorithm really DOES
implement true n-key rollover (or 8-key, in some cases); the software
simply cannot tell the difference between 3 or 4 depressed keys which
are vertices of a rectangle in the keyboard matrix.  This phenomenon
occurs only for certain key combos, of course, resulting in an effective
3-key rollover capability; a shame, since I find 4-key to be pretty much
what I need.

	Frankly, I find that I type MUCH faster on a well-designed electronic
keyboard than I am able to on any traditional electric typewriter; thus
it's no surprise that a "traditional" (mechanical) typist is unfamiliar
with the concept of rollover - his painfully slow typing style was developed
on a rollover-less keyboard!

	Aside: I've personally standardized on the keyboard layout with
which I've found I can do the most per keystroke: the VT-52/VT-100/Human
Designed Systems/Heath H19/etc.. layout, which is sort of an extension of
the basic selectric layout and a departure from the standard low-end
tyewriter layout.  I wish everyone agreed with me; however, in the
meantime, I am soliciting similar and differing opinions on this practical
issue.  What's your favorite keyboard?  Why?

	On another issue, the bits and pieces I've picked up on the new,
$600 Coleco machine are that it is basically an in-house design - no big
OEM subsystems - with lots of shared components and bare-bones engineering
(read "economizing", not necessarily "cheap").  My personal opinion is
that it won't be a serious contender in the under-$1000 pc/hc market, largely
due to a serious case of the Commodore-itis: hardware and software engineering
executed by a technical group seemingly devoid of experience with serious
computers.  Admittedly, all of the machines in this price category have
varying degrees of congenital head injury, but some, like the Ataris and
to some degree the TI, show at least a measure of integrated systems
engineering as if they were designed by people who wanted to be proud
of their efforts.  But this is a religious issue...and unfortunately,
clever marketing plays entirely too much a part in successfully selling
large quantities of incompletely designed microcomputer systems (and
everything else, for that matter).

flames 'n' busses,
Mark Dzmura
via mbf@cmu-cs-c

p.s. I wonder how the Atari hackers, for all their basically sound design,
implemented a rollover-less (sounds good, eh?) keyboard?  I can't touch-type
on the stupid thing withou missing letters!!

STORK%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (07/07/83)

From:  Eric Stork <STORK@mit-mc>

Subject: Optronics Disk Control Unit
:
Optronics Technology, Box 81, Pittsford NY 14534, offers a card
for installation in disk drives that will turn off the
AC to the motors if there is no read/write for 9 seconds.
:
Seems like a good idea to save wear of drive bearings & disks,
and reduce noise.  Cost: $49.95.
:
But questions:  Has anyone actually tried this approach?
Are there hidden Gotcha's?
Can one damage drives with frequent on/offs?
:
Would appreciate any advice, pro or con,
that anyone may have.  Will summarize for net if response warrants.
Please send direct to STORK%MIT-MC  --  I'm not on the INFO-MICRO list.
:
Eric Stork

ABOULANGER@BBNG.ARPA (07/12/83)

From:  Albert Boulanger <ABOULANGER@BBNG.ARPA>

Subject: Touch Panels

There are some touch panels that are designed to be separate from the terminal;
with their own rs232 port. I believe Carrol (sp?) Industries in Champaign
Illinois makes one.

Albert Boulanger
ABOULANGER@BBNG

-------

Anderer.UDel-CC-Relay@udel-relay@sri-unix.UUCP (07/13/83)

----- Forwarded message # 1:

We have 20 Apples in a classroom, used for delivering Computer Assisted
Instruction materials.  We plan to tie these machine together using
a Corvus Omninet.  We also have a Vax 780 running VMS version 3.X.

We would like to link the network to the Vax (probably over a 9600
baud line) to allow file transfers.  Has anyone done this, or
something similar?  If so, we'd like to hear about it, and receive
any advice you'd like to give.  Thanks.

Please reply to

	anderer.udel-cc-relay@udel-relay

or call

	Dave Anderer
	University of Delaware
	302-453-6093

----- End of forwarded messages

BEAN@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (07/20/83)

From:  "James Lewis Bean, Jr." <BEAN@mit-mc>

The company that I last worked for had several slow 286's.  These chips
were samples, but as far as I know they worked.  I think the 286 works, but
it currently has a BIG problem with heat.  The samples that we have
were very good at melting into their sockets.  Even with huge heat
sinks connected.  The project that was using the 286 will require the
8Mhz version to meet their contractual requirements, last I heard they
were getting quite worried, but software development was continuing
using the slow samples.

					lewis
					bean at mit-mc

JL%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (07/21/83)

From:  Jonathan Lettvin <JL@mit-mc>

info-cpm
I need some help. Is there a public domain C compiler on this system?
Is there a good public domain macro-assembler on this system?
What directories exist other than CPM for these wonderful micro-computer
files?

BYTE@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (09/01/83)

From:  Roger L. Long <BYTE@mit-mc>

I know that recent messages have said there isn't any documentation
on UMODEM, but before I go and write some, I'd like to make sure.
Has anyone already written a `man' entry for UMODEM?  (for those
who aren't aware, UMODEM is a program that allows file transfers
between UNIX and CP/M systems).

	Thanks...

	  -roger

rconn@brl@sri-unix.UUCP (09/01/83)

From:      Rick Conn <rconn@brl>

I'm not aware of a man entry for UMODEM.  Lauren Weinstein (the original
author) or Keith Petersen are good sources who may know of one.

	Rick

jim%MIT-DUZ@mit-multics@sri-unix.UUCP (09/15/83)

Has anyone out there used or had any experience  using  the  ASYNC-86  software
package  for NEC's APC?  Specifically, I'm having trouble trying to emulate any
terminal.  It appears as though the package only emulates a DUM terminal -- not
very  useful  when tying to do screen editing(e.g. escape sequences are printed
to the console instead of being trapped and interpreted by the BIOS.)

Please send replies to jprestivo@mit-xx.

KFL@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (09/21/83)

From:  Keith F. Lynch <KFL@mit-mc>

  We are thinking of getting a Molecular system as an office automation
system.  Does anyone know anything about it?  Please reply to me, as I am
not on info-micro or info-cpm.  Thank you.
								...Keith

SOROC@mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (09/23/83)

From:  Julian J. Watkins <SOROC@mit-mc>

    The ten-digit number you have to type for the Miner 2049er feature:
          2137826861
    looks very much like the area-code and phone number for Big Five
software company (the makers of Miner 2049er).
    I guess its not as obscure as you might think.

                                    Julian J. Watkins
                                           SOROC@MIT-MC

TLD%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (10/27/83)

From:  Thomas L. Davenport <TLD@mit-mc>

Please remove me from the list.

NEAL%mit-ml@sri-unix.UUCP (11/11/83)

From:  Neal Feinberg <NEAL@mit-ml>

Does anyone have any technical information on Apple's
new computer, The Macintosh?  Please send all replies
directly to me as I am not on the list.  If there
is sufficient interest I will post the replies in one
message.  Thanks...

				--Neal

LIN%mit-ml@sri-unix.UUCP (11/13/83)

From:  Herb Lin <LIN@mit-ml>

a few people have asked for my listing of cheap word processor computers, but
i lost the requests.  if you want to see it, pls let me know, and I will
send it.  disregard my previous msgs about having lost it - i have since found it..

FERGUSON@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (11/15/83)

From:  Jay Ferguson <FERGUSON@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

FOR SALE: PDQ-3 COMPUTER SYSTEM
          built by : Advanced Computer Design - San Diego
          processor: WD-90 chip set (hardware implementation of p-code machine)
                     16 bit architecture
                     runs Pascal approximately 15Xs as fast as Apple II
          memory   : 128k bytes
          storage  : 2 double-sided, double-density 8" floppy drives
          terminal :Freedom 100 terminal - less than 40 hours use
          software : UCSD P-system - editor,compiler,file system, etc.
                     Advanced system editor
                     LISP
                     and anything else I've collected

PRICE: $3000 or best offer.

System is in good shape and is very dependable.

CONTACT: Jay Ferguson  (415)325-4603  or mail to FERGUSON@SUMEX
-------

leimkuhl@uiuccsb.UUCP (11/20/83)

#R:sri-arpa:-1355100:uiuccsb:4400023:000:25
uiuccsb!leimkuhl    Nov 14 10:34:00 1983

please post the results.

MIKES.%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/08/84)

From:  "Mike F. Santangelo, Jr." <MIKES.@mit-mc>

  Please add me to your mailing-list.
                     Mike F. Santangelo (MIKES.)

MIKES.%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (01/30/84)

From:  Jr. Mike F. Santangelo <MIKES.@mit-mc>

   Has anyone heard anything about a new APPLE look-alike(?)
system called "WINNER"?
   A local electronics outlet (normally dealing in surplus
equipment) is selling them for $459, and for that here is
what you get:
             Dual Microprocessors 6502 & Z80A (yes, A!)
             76K RAM w/4 expansion slots, 16K ROM
             40/80 column text display built in/soft switch controlled
             RS232 port built in
             APPLE disk drive standard interface built in
             APPLE / CP/M compatible
             Nice keyboard w/numeric keypad and function key[s]
             Changable OS
             DOS 3.2/3.3 compatible
             UPPER/lower case

   Geez, with all that don't think you need more than 4 slots...
   The store owner said he was backordered 17 units (only gets
25 units at a time).
   Anyone have any other information about this unit, like
just how compatible it really is with the APPLE ][, //e?
   ...The owner joking called it the "//e plus".

                                    -- MFS
                                    (MIKES.@MIT-MC)

wouk%brl-vgr@sri-unix.UUCP (02/09/84)

what is KERMIT?

ABN.ISCAMS%usc-isid@sri-unix.UUCP (02/14/84)

(Ref msg asked "what is KERMIT?")

If you're serious, look to COLUMBIA-20 <KERMIT> for some of the documentation,
discussions, archives, etc.  Or look on your local host <DOCUMENTATION>
KERMIT.*.* for the manual and/or protocol.

Basically a packetizing, error-trapping file transfer program that'll work with
a VAST number of different systems.  The key is each different micro/mini/
mainframe (KERMIT for a 360 even) has its own KERMIT, which understands its own
environment.  Each KERMIT knows how to use the standard KERMIT protocols to
talk with other KERMITs.

Sucker works GOOD!

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
ABN.ISCAMS@USC-ISID

Kevin.Dowling%cmu-ri-rover@sri-unix.UUCP (02/15/84)

The latest issue of the EE Times came today and had a couple of interesting
articles on the Mac. One told of Steven Jobs's visit to the Boston Computer
Society which apparently went very well. "Jobs began by unzipping Mac from a
shoulder bag, plugging it in, and running a demonstration program.."
TV projectors and a sound system accompanied by Chariot's of Fire music added
to the effect. Anyway the Q and A period went well also...

Revelations at the meeting included the following:
	Color-High resolution graphics is planned for the Lisa products
	and Jobs didn't rule out color for the Mac adding that color
	has been built into the Mac Quickdraw code from day 1.

	Pascal and C compiliers will be supplied from Apple and third party
	firms.

	Networking for less than $25/station will be supported.

	A video output option will be available for the Mac.

	The Mac's capabilities will greatly expand when greater availability
	of  256Kbit RAMs permit a 512K upgrade for the Mac.

	Mac's 64K ROM OS offers 68K assembly which can run business software
	far faster than PC "equivalents"

	Apple will offer serial and laser printers.

	An Apple II-e "book computer" is in the works too. A 6502 based
	machine about the size of the NEC and Radio-Shack machines already
	on the market. It would have LCD display and color video output.

	Also a 3-4 Mhz II-e is in the works, this will enable the Apple
	to rival the IBM-PC on business environment benchmark
	program routines.

	Quickdraw account for 20 of ROM, another third supports the Mac's
	IO structure and memory file allocation and (virtual) disk memory
	usage. This section also generates the icons and screen utilities
	including a calculator and game puzzle which Jobs also said are
	precursors of multiuser capability.

	The remainder of the ROM code includes some 480 additions
	to 68K code. Thses routines allow software designers to quickly
	implement their Mac versions of software.

	The reason for no 512Kbyte Mac using 64K chips is simply a question
	of real-estate... there isn't room... Jobs said with 9-12 months
	Owners of Mac systems will go to their dealers for a simple board
	swap. The 512k byte decoder logic exists on present Macs.
	The Mac OS contains many utilities that take advantage of the
	expanded memory. for example, despite the use of some redundant
	pixel elimination routines, the typical Mac picture file requires
	53K bytes of storage. That places limitations on Mac's ability
	to buffer operator actions (such as UNDO) Mac now has one layer of
	UNDO commands, but with 512K versatility should be vastly expanded.
	That versatility is needed by MacWrite, which cannot easily
	create documents longer than 9-12 pages.

	Scrolling screen graphics are written to the microfloppy in "near
	real-time" redundancy codes are used to compress the picture file
	size in real-time.

	Both Micro-softs and Apples Basic run about 10 times faster than
	BASIC on an IBM-PC.

	A PASCAL compilier will offer the capabilites of Smalltalk.
	[ Larry Tessler just gave a talk on Apples "Classcal" here
	at CMU and it has some neat features of Object-oriented
	programming languages like hierarchical class structures ]

	Jobs said Apple wants a UNIX server for the Mac and Lisas.
	It would be a large disk and a very fast CPU hanging on the network.

	Apple's printer will use the Canon laser printer engine.
	Also the Canon system permits limited 4-color (blue, black,
	red, brown) capability, via chaging toner cartridges.

	An Apple accessory Appleline will  offers IBM 3270 accessabilty
	for the Mac connects with any IBM mainframe, does as well or better
	than any IBM-PC.

	Small "very very inexpensive" 10-20 MegByte file servers will
	be available this fall for shared Winchester capability.

	A double sided 80K micro-floppy will debut in about a year.
	Sony is now ramping up for production.

more news at 11...

				kevin
ARPA: nivek@cmu-ri-rover
USPO: Robotics Institue c/o C-MU Schenley Park, Pgh. PA 15213
BELL: (412) 578-8830

Chris@USC-ECLB.ARPA (02/18/84)

From:  Christopher Ho <Chris@USC-ECLB.ARPA>

Frankly, I am disappointed.

	After the meeting earlier this week between some of the senior
Computing-Department people and Bob Braverman (Apple's Educational
Representatives) the news came down that we (USC) were probably not
going be admitted into the AUC.

	Apple has apparently decided that it has enough of that first
marketing push to be extremely selective about who can actually join
the Consortium
-------

MIKES.%mit-mc@sri-unix.UUCP (02/18/84)

From:  Jr. Mike F. Santangelo <MIKES.@mit-mc>

  Geez, with all this talk of the MacIntosh and such, let's step
back a few(?) years.
  Just bought a used Tektronix 4023 terminal, anyone know where I
can get a users/tech manual for it, or any other useful information?
Tektronix's address (in Oregon is it?) and/or phone number might also
be helpful.
                                     Thanks,
                                       Mike.
                                       (MIKES.@MIT-MC)

News%sri-unix@sri-unix.UUCP (02/19/84)

NFrom: BARBER@MIT-XX.ARPA
NNewsgroups: net.micro
NTitle: Floppy manual
NArticle-I.D.: sri-arpa.16822
NPosted: Fri Feb 17 20:54:26 1984
NFrom:  Steve Barber <BARBER@MIT-XX.ARPA>
NDoes anyone know where I can get a service-type manual for a 5 1/4"
Nmini-floppy ? Specifically, one for the Tandon TM100 would be great but
Nany will do.  It doesn't have to be free.  Xerox isN

Accounting Pkgs. -
	Accounting Plus G/L, A/R, A/P, Payrol					   295.00

Demo pkgs. for sales support -
	Accounting Plus G/L, A/R, A/P, Payroll,		   175.00
	Sales Order, Pthe Keys

BillW%sri-kl@sri-unix.UUCP (02/21/84)

From:  William "Chops" Westfield <BillW@sri-kl>

SRI-UNIX, which is the gateway to usenet for INFO-MICRO and
INFO-CPM (amoung other mailing lists), has a broken IMP11
interface, and so no net.micro* netnews will be gatewayed
to the arpanet until we manage to find spare parts someplace...

BillW

byard%minet-obl-em@sri-unix.UUCP (02/23/84)

Re:  Re: Another Mac Review - Memory Expansion
Date: 23 Feb 1984 16:12:49 Z
Text: So what are the right tools (and techniques)?  I want to buy some.  Thanks.
Larry

rmurphy%bbn-unix@sri-unix.UUCP (02/27/84)

From:  Robert Murphy <rmurphy@bbn-unix>

Am looking for a replacement disk drive for a Radio Shack model 1
for short money or if someone has another solution to replacing a
dead drive I would be interested.
					Bob Murphy

DINGMAN@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA (03/29/84)

  I need some sources for hardware that will allow me to lock down the
small computers in our office.  It will be used on an IBM PC and an
Apple III, probably some other makes in the near future.  Last year I
attended a show in St. Louis and saw a system consisting of a steel plate
which was glued (using something stronger than Elmers) to the table, then
locked to an accompanying unit in the PC.  This worked well for the system
unit, but I don't think it protected the display.  Anyway, if you're
familiar with this or other models of such things, please let me know.
Either post to this board, send direct to me, or if you have detailed
info such as brochures, please USMail.

          John Dingman (DINGMAN@RADC-20.ARPA)
          Intel & Recon Division
          Rome Air Development Center
          Griffiss AFB, NY 13441
-------

meier%isl@sri-unix.UUCP (04/17/84)

DUU and DU2 (with more features) are indeed excellent disk editors.
There is however one slight problem when dealing with disks with bad
sectors.  My BIOS and I assume most BIOS' trap errors and will not
return the data to DUU or DU2 if one is detected.  This leaves the
contents of the previous read in DUU's buffer.  I wrote quick and
dirty DDT routines to turn off error detection while attemting to
repair bad sectors  and then reenable error detection when I'm done.

NEVER!  "That's NEVER EVER try fixing a bad track by doing:
read..  write.. increment.. loop.    Fix those nasty little sectors
one at a time "manually".  I completeletely destroyed a directory by
doing the afforementioned "never ever".

The error handling/reporting by those programs "should" abort loops and
return error messages to the user.

Jesse (who knows more than one way to destroy a disk)

From: ABN.ISCAMS@usc-isid

DUU and DU are at SIMTEL20 via anonymous FTP (I think DUU is in the SIGM
files somewhere, and DU under disk utilities).  FINDBAD, which is supposed to
find and lock out bad sectors (by storing them in a file called BAD or
something like that) is also out there -- however I find it does not catch
all the errors, since I can run FINDBAD and still get BDOS errors. Donno
why.

If you need help FTPing from SIMTEL20, yell.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum

From: Eaton.HFED at HI-MULTICS <Eaton.HFED@HI-MULTICS>

Bob,  I don't know where you're located but if there is a local CP/M USERS
GROUP in the neighborhood that's the place to go for a wealth of CCP/M software.

There are two major CPM libraries; CPMUG and SIG/M. Of the two, SIG/M is now
the most active and all the new stuff is released in it.

Here is a list of disk manipulators you may be interested in:

DUU.*      CPMUG VOL 78
DU2.ASM    SIG/M VOL 108
DU2.COM    SIG/M VOL 108
DU2.HLP    SIG/M VOL 103   DU2.COM IS SELF DOCUMENTING AND REALLY NEEDS NO HELP
VFILER     SIG/M VOL 145
VERIFY.C   SIG/M VOL ?
Z80DISK    SIG/M VOL 140
DISK7      SIG/M VOL 127
FINDBAD    SIG/M VOL 86
CATALOG    SIG/M VOL 0   THIS DISK HAS A LIST OF ALL AVAILABLE CP/M SOFTWARE

If you don't have access to a user's group you can either send me a disk in a
SASE or you can call me at (612) 920-2115.  I have a modem at home running
MDM724 and could transfer the files to you if you like.

I have everything above but Z80DISK and DISK7.

Send me a message and let me know what you would like to do.

Have a fine day.      Jesse (Eaton.HFED@hi-multics) in Mpls, Mn.

P.S. My work number is (612) 830-3682.      Bye.........

stew@harvard.ARPA (04/18/84)

Undeniably, there will always be unethical folks around who will copy
software given half a chance.  Expensive hardware additions may make
it much more difficult, but I tend to think that there is no combination
of hardware and software protection mechanisms that will eliminate
the problem, even leaving aside the problems these mechanisms cause
authorized users.

So, I suggest that the only way to go is make buying the software
\so/ much more attractive that everyone will buy it to get all the
benefits.  These benefits will be expensive to provide, true, but I
submit that the cost will be peanuts compared to the lost revenues
from thieving and expensive copy protection schemes.  Furthermore,
the registered users will be so blown away by the great benefits
that they will happily tell their friends that, yeah, this stuff
is expensive, but boy is it worth it.

It doesn't take much imagination to come up with a list of benefits
the software producer can provide if it is well capitalized.  The
kinds of things I'm thinking of are along the lines of updates,
consulting service, publications containing hints and experiences
with the program, guarenteed responses to bug reports and suggestions,
etc.  This won't work with, say, a game;  I'm thinking of more complex
pieces of software

I've been in computers a long time, but have only recently been
concerned with micros and other personal computers.  How do you
more experienced micro users think something like this might work?

Stew Rubenstein
lhasa!stew@harv-10.arpa
{allegra!ima,decvax!genrad!wjh12}!harvard!lhasa!stew

sde@mitre-bedford.ARPA (08/09/84)

Re S1 OS:
There is an article on it in Comp. Design, 1984 July, and another article
that makes reference to S1 in a comparison table.
   David   sde@mitre-bedford