[comp.sys.sgi] Window Movement Frequency

jgarb@CSD360B.ERIM.ORG (Joe Garbarino) (05/13/89)

Forest Baskett of SGI says:
> not use too many CPU cycles, and do menus and such tools quickly.  Most
> people I know don't move or resize windows very many times per minute/
> hour/day so the speed of those operations is not especially critical...

Is it true that you Iris users out there don't move windows very
often?  I have to admit that my use of window systems may be different
than the typical Iris user.  I often have many windows open at the
same time, causing them to overlap, become obscured, etc.  What do you
other Iris users think about this??  Am I in the minority or the
majority?  Would it be irritating to you to spend twenty seconds
moving a window as it now takes in the currently available X Window
System implementation?  Let's hear from others on this issue.

					Joe Garbarino
					ERIM
					P.O. Box 8618
					Ann Arbor, Mi.  48107
					(313)994-1200 x2508
					jgarb@csd360b.erim.org

mem%inls1@UCSD.EDU (Margaret Mikulska) (05/13/89)

From info-iris-request@vmb.brl.mil Fri May 12 12:46:14 1989
To: info-iris@BRL.MIL
Subject: Window Movement Frequency (was X Window System performance on Iris)

Joe Garbarino writes:

>Is it true that you Iris users out there don't move windows very
>often?  I have to admit that my use of window systems may be different
>than the typical Iris user.  I often have many windows open at the
>same time, causing them to overlap, become obscured, etc.  What do you
>other Iris users think about this??  Am I in the minority or the
>majority?  Would it be irritating to you to spend twenty seconds
>moving a window as it now takes in the currently available X Window
>System implementation?  Let's hear from others on this issue.

I use many windows at the same time and manipulate them A LOT. Sometimes
when I could choose between a Sun-3 and an IRIS 3130, I preferred the
IRIS because of window speed. If it took me 20 sec to move a window,
I would go insane and give up on using the machine.
Seriously, a FAST windowing system which supports a large number of
windows is essential for me.

Margaret Mikulska

Univ. of California, San Diego
Institute for Nonlinear Science

mem@inls1.ucsd.edu
ucsd!inls1!mem

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates TAD/TAB ms294 x42854") (05/13/89)

    20 seconds is too long.  I all ways have at least 2 or 3 windows open.
Sometimes as many as 6 or 7 and I am 'pushing' and 'poping' them all the
time.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (05/14/89)

In article <8905121836.AA11850@csd360b.erim.org>, jgarb@CSD360B.ERIM.ORG (Joe Garbarino) writes:

> Forest Baskett of SGI says:
> majority?  Would it be irritating to you to spend twenty seconds
> moving a window as it now takes in the currently available X Window
> System implementation?  Let's hear from others on this issue.

I agree that it is irritating to spend 20 seconds moving a window.
I also agree that the performance of the X special we started sending out
in November, as I explained earlier, leaves something to be desired.

You don't say what machine you are using.  As I said earlier, a microcode
problem on the GTX rendered uwm on that machine intolerable.
That problem is fixed in 3.1 Rev G, which contains the X product we are about
to start shipping.  That product, as I also indicated earlier, is anywhere
from 5 to 100 times faster that what you have now.  uwm is completely
usable on all GT, GTX and Personal Iris products.  It will not take you
20 seconds to move a window.

Wait until you see it before you judge it.

--
	-Mark

fsfacca@LERC08.NAS.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (05/15/89)

My vote: 20 seconds is too long.  I even get a little bit annoyed at the
3.1D window closes, now that it draws little SGI logos.  It used to be
instananeous, now its barely noticable, but still "noticable".  It also
seems to take a fraction of a second longer to repaint the screen as well.
No big deal, but the point is, we're used to very fast window movement, it'll
be difficult to give that up -- even for X.
Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.nas.nasa.gov