[comp.sys.sgi] baud rates

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz) (05/16/89)

Hmm - sound as if it is getting complicated with the non-4Sight environment.
As far as I got the data out of the 'documentation', the baud rate of the
non-graphics environment is determined in the PROM monitor setting the environ-
mental variable dbaud and/or rbaud. Doing so, I am able to modify the
(default) 9600 baud speed. (Owners guide, Table 5-6 Using the Prom Monitor)
Logging in remotely from DECNET or TCP/IP, I usually get the line speed my
current (text) terminal has. The graphics console seems to work as normal in
terms of baud rates.
Is it possible that windowing is delayed over the net because of the limited
speed on the ethernet board? At least the 4DDN product shows considerable less
performance in transfer rates compared to the TCP/IP protocol.

Reinhard

mitch@rock.SGI.COM (Thomas P. Mitchell) (05/17/89)

In article <84*doelz@urz.unibas.ch>, doelz@urz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz) writes:
> Hmm - sound as if it is getting complicated with the non-4Sight environment.
> As far as I got the data out of the 'documentation', the baud rate of the
> non-graphics environment is determined in the PROM monitor setting the environ-

On a pseudo terminal environment (wsh) it is usefull to set
the baudrate to something.   The value of 38400 is a
reflection of the update time.   Remember wsh is a 'gl'
aplication program which emulates a terminal and there is no
real serial conection from the machine to the 'pseudo terminal'.

There are a number of programs which use 'curses'.  Curses programmers
can pay attention to the baud rate when they update a screen.  Many of
the screen functions have a time associated with them  the use of
screen functions is then modified to optimize screen I/O.

Consider a real terminal -- the Qume 102.  It can refill the screen
faster at 19200 baud than it can open a single line.  So when a line is
inserted clever 'curses' code will use the terminal 'insert line'
command at 300 baud and redraw the screen at 19200.

Try a 'clever' program (emacs is a good one) at baud rates from slow to
vfast on a real terminal.  It is fun to see the differences.  For what
it is worth the source to an older version of  emacs had a full page
comment in its terminal I/O section which was a tombstone.  The
comments warned any who entered etc..

|--

Is this is any help?

--