[comp.sys.sgi] 4Dgifts

LAAKSONE@FINFUN.BITNET (01/03/89)

Thanks a lot for all your reply to my query about Emacs and Kermit.
I did not know about the 4Dgifts directory on the tape. I had a look
at the tapes and used inst to list the files. The problem is now that
I got a strange message saying: "Warning: eoe2.sw.gifts cannot be
installed on the currently running system". Can sombody tell me what
this is all about?

Cheers

Leif Laaksonen

dixons%phvax.dnet@SMITHKLINE.COM (05/13/89)

In trying to make the iristools in 4DGifts by following the instructions
in README, I ran into the following problem.  While make was working on
the libgutil area it failed for the following reason:
        cc -I../include -I/usr/include/gl -DUNIX -D$CPUBOARD $FPAOPT -O -c glstu
ff.c
cpp: error glstuff.c:15: Can't find include file gri_ioctl.h
*** Error code 1

I can't seem to find this include file anywhere.  My system is a 4D120GTX
running 3.1D.  Anybody have any ideas where this file is or how to replace
it?
Thanks,
Scott Dixon (dixons@smithkline.com)

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates TAD/TAB ms294 x42854") (05/13/89)

   Than sounds typical.  It seems that the files and evironment that
the SGI engineers work in is different from what is shipped to the
users.  You try something like you did and it doesn't work, but the
guy at SGI doesn't know why right off, because it works fine for him.
   A while back I got the SGI demo tape and tried to make a few things.
They didn't work right away, include files and libraries were missing
; and some enviromental variables weren't set that needed to be.
I eventually got it to work, with some help from someone at SGI, but
it should have worked without all that extra effort.
   What is shipped out needs to more like what the SGI people have,
or when they try to help you things don't work the same as on their
machines and that take more time.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

BUG@campus.swarthmore.EDU (05/14/89)

  We have problems similar to Scott Dixons;  when we do a make in the iristools
directory,  the routine cant find something in libgutil.a  (it is ranlib) and
it halts.  Since these routines are free but unsupported, I guess we get what
we pay for.
  Also,  that man is Eugene O'Neill - and from the looks of the photograph
it was taken late in his career (mid 1940's ,  after continued bouts with
tuburculosis,  thanks to Bill Bug for that information).  Does anyone out there
know how it was scanned and encoded?
        -Amy Bug,  Swarthmore College Physics Dept  (BUG@SWARTHMR)

swenson@NUSC-WPN.ARPA (05/15/89)

Greetings,

	I have spent some time over the past couple of days in 4Dgifts.
I have ran into many of the same problems others are reporting.  I have
solved a couple of them in my system...and have found others.  Here goes.

	RANLIB seems to be an optional step (don't yell -- I am not a UNIX
guru and the libraries work without running it.  That says to me that it
is basically optional...).  If you want to use RANLIB though, I found a
copy of it in 4Dgifts/bin (I think...but its in there) if you log in as
guest (assuming 4Dgifts is the default guest directory) the .cshrc takes
care of the necessary paths.  If you have already created the LIBXXXX.A
library, get rid of it and run MAKE again.

	As far as missing headers are concerned I have not run into this
problem.

	Something that I did run into is that the code for SCRSAVE in the
libgutil directory seems to be suffering from an identity crisis...it
thinks it is running on a 3000 or something.  I try to call SCRSAVE
from an application that uses the entire screen (1280x1024) and the
application BLEEPS the bed.  Upon closer inspection of the SCRSAVE code, I
found that the array that holds the colormap indices of a line of pixels has
a dimension of 1024...(I need 1280) Made the necessary change and it worked
fine.  I also looked at other areas in libgutil, and full screen windows are
opened with a dimension of 1024X967 (or something like that).  In doing this,
I was linking to the 4Dgifts version of libgutil and libimage.  I will try
linking to /usr/lib/libgutil et al later and let you know how I make out.

---
					Steve
					SWENSON@NUSC-WPN.ARPA
------

" ratcliffe) (05/18/89)

In article <8905131445.aa23484@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, BUG@campus.swarthmore.EDU writes:

>   We have problems similar to Scott Dixons;  when we do a make in the iristools
> directory,  the routine cant find something in libgutil.a  (it is ranlib) and
> it halts.  Since these routines are free but unsupported, I guess we get what
> we pay for.
>         -Amy Bug,  Swarthmore College Physics Dept  (BUG@SWARTHMR)

"ranlib" is an out-of-date and archaic item that should have been cleaned up
by now but hasn't been yet.  however, it does work, as is explained in the
file ~4Dgifts/iristools/README.   in ~4Dgifts/bin there is a shell script
called ranlib which was implemented for backwards-compatibility sake for the
2000/3000 machines.  to quote from ~4Dgifts/iristools/README:

    NOTEs:  YOUR UID MUST BE SET TO 4Dgifts (or guest depending on which
            line comes first in /etc/passwd).  This is essential because
            of the need for the shell to recognize that ~4Dgifts/bin is
            in its path so it can find ~4Dgifts/bin/ranlib when it goes
            to make a symbol definition file in the archives being built
            for the two libraries libimage.a and libgutil.a.  ~/bin/ranlib
            is a script to enable these libraries to be built on 2000/3000
            as well as 4D machines.  The idea here is that the iristools
            subtree was designed to able to be copied in its entirety from
            a 4D to a 2000/3000 machine, and be compiled/run on this
            family of machine as well.
--
                                            daveus rattus

                                   yer friendly neighborhood ratman

      Few concepts during this quarter-century have been as important, as
    controversial,  as misunderstood, and as misinterpreted as secrecy in
    government.  No idea during this period [1946-1971] has had a greater
    impact upon Americans and upon the American way of life  than that of
    the containment of  Communism.   Both are inseparably intertwined and
    have  nutured  each  other  in a blind Pavlovian way.   Understanding
    their relationship is a matter of fundamental importance.
			           -L. Fletcher Prouty, "The Secret Team"