[comp.sys.sgi] mass storage tape drive for the SGI 4D/GT series

kish@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bill Kish) (05/23/89)

	Has anyone looked into hooking up an EXABYTE tape drive (or the
equivalent) to the SGI 4D/GT series ?  I have information from a company
called Sterling, but they wanted upwards of $8000 (this figure was *after*
deducting the educational discount) !).  I was hoping to not spend more
than $4000 if at all possible.  If I get enough responses, I will post
a summary to the net.

Thanks,
Bill Kish

email: kish@rutgers.edu

ciemo@bananapc.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) (05/24/89)

In article <May.23.11.24.10.1989.6565@porthos.rutgers.edu>, kish@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bill Kish) writes:

> 	Has anyone looked into hooking up an EXABYTE tape drive (or the
> equivalent) to the SGI 4D/GT series ?  I have information from a company
> called Sterling, but they wanted upwards of $8000 (this figure was *after*
> deducting the educational discount) !).  I was hoping to not spend more
> than $4000 if at all possible.  If I get enough responses, I will post
> a summary to the net.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Kish
>
> email: kish@rutgers.edu

List price of the Exabyte drive from Silicon Graphics is $8950 according
to the Spring 1989 issue of the IRIS Universe.  I don't know what the
educational discount would be.

The option is called the "SCSI 8mm Cartridge Tape Drive".
--

Dave	   (commonplace)		"Boldly going where no one cares to go."
Ciemiewicz (incomprehensible)

markb@denali.sgi.com (Mark Bradley) (05/24/89)

In article <May.23.11.24.10.1989.6565@porthos.rutgers.edu>, kish@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bill Kish) writes:

> 	Has anyone looked into hooking up an EXABYTE tape drive (or the
> equivalent) to the SGI 4D/GT series ?  I have information from a company
> called Sterling, but they wanted upwards of $8000 (this figure was *after*
> deducting the educational discount) !).  I was hoping to not spend more
> than $4000 if at all possible.  If I get enough responses, I will post
> a summary to the net.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Kish
>
> email: kish@rutgers.edu

SGI sells this tape drive as an option.  Works great!  We support byte
swapped and non-byte swapped, fixed and variable records and everything.
Multivolume works today.  Buy it from us and have hardware and software
support and installation.

					markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."