[comp.sys.sgi] Network Security Violation

merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H Merritt) (05/18/89)

In article <8905171251.aa01900@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> ZRFL@DS0RUS1I.BITNET ("Heinz W. Poehlmann") writes:
>I got a little problem with the IRIX 3.1D Revision.  After successful
>installation of the maintenance tapes on our IRIS 4D/20G, we now get
>the message :
>Network security violation:
>Rejected connection from loopback

Try adding:

    RemoteHostRegistry /loopback true put

in the RemoteHostRegistry dictionary section of the file
/usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/init.ps.  NeWS needs access to a network before
it can open up windows.  Note: I tried:

    /NetSecurityWanted false def

but that didn't work.

John

fsfacca@LERC08.NAS.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (05/18/89)

Network security violation errors come from the window manager when it is
trying to start the tools and console and cannot access the network.  This
problem most frequently occurs when you botch up the /etc/hosts table.  I
can't be sure which part of the table it is, but, having botched up enough
host tables, I usually check the loopback entry (make sure there is one),
and also check the /etc/sys_id against the system name in the hosts table.
for example, if you call  your host  "earth", then your network address
should be something like:

	128.100.100.1 earth.blah.blah.blah earth

however, if your entry is like:

	128.100.100.1 venus.blah.blah.blah earth

you'll get those violations.  I'm guessing here, but I believe the system
only looks at the first field in the domain name, and compares it against
the sys_id.  If the don't match, as in the second example, you get the
violation.

The "fix/workaround" would be to make sure the sys_id and the first part
of the name in the /etc/hosts table are the same.  "earth == earth, but
earth != venus"  --good luck.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.nas.nasa.gov

msc@ramoth.SGI.COM (Mark Callow) (05/19/89)

In article <224@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H Merritt) writes:

> Try adding:
>
>     RemoteHostRegistry /loopback true put
>
> in the RemoteHostRegistry dictionary section of the file
> /usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/init.ps.  NeWS needs access to a network before
> it can open up windows.  Note: I tried:
>
>     /NetSecurityWanted false def
>
> but that didn't work.

No, no, no!  Never edit init.ps unless you really know what you are doing.

If you want to override things, do it from the user.ps file.  The system
default file is in /usr/NeWS/lib/user.ps or users can have individual ones
in their home directories.

In this particular case there is a command, newshost(1), that lets you
control the RemoteHostRegistry and enable and disable security.

The real problem here seems to be that someone edited the hosts file and
added loopback as the first name on the 127.1 line.  The problem has nothing
to do with the upgrade to 3.1D.

--
	-Mark

kish@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bill Kish) (05/25/89)

A few months ago, I ran into this "Network Security Violation"
problem which has been getting some bandwidth in this news group
lately. I finally fixed it on our SGI's by borrowing a postscript
procedure from one of our SUNs which converts strings to lowercase.
Here is a diff of the init.ps which works without disabling NeWS
security and the default 3.1F init.ps:

579,580c579
< (NeWS/lower-case.ps) LoadFile
< RemoteHostRegistry localhostname LowerCase true put
---
> RemoteHostRegistry localhostname true put
603c602
<                 RemoteHostRegistry OriginatingHost LowerCase known
---
>                 RemoteHostRegistry OriginatingHost known

The source for /usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/lower-case.ps is:

%
% a fairly dumb lowercasing routine
%
/LowerCase { % string - lower-case-string
    10 dict begin
    /istr exch def			% save the input string
    /str istr length string def		% make an output string the same size
    0 1 istr length 1 sub {
	str exch			% str index for the put coming later
	dup istr exch get
	dup dup 65 ge exch 90 le and	% if (A =< char =< Z)
	{ 32 add} if			% then make lowecase
	put				% store into the output string
    } for
    str
    end
} def

If the person who posted the orignal message about this is still
having the same problem, give this a try - it worked for me and I
didn't have disable the NeWS security option.

-Bill Kish

email: kish@jove.rutgers.edu