[comp.sys.sgi] Another Backup Tool

jmb@patton.sgi.com (Jim Barton) (05/24/89)

In case anyone is interested, I have ported 'pax', the portable super-duper
understand everything, generate everything replacement for tar and cpio.
Current OSF/1 spec gives 'pax' as the system archiver.  Anyone wishing
a copy, drop me a line.  If I get enough requests, I'll post to the net.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb@sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb@decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'
--

pwolfe@kailand.kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) (05/26/89)

> /* Written by jmb@sgi.UUCP in kailand:kai.sgi */
> In case anyone is interested, I have ported 'pax', the portable super-duper
> understand everything, generate everything replacement for tar and cpio.

What features does PAX support?

The features of GNU tar that I use (and need) are:
	- multi volume support (asks for new tape when EOV reached)
	- remote tape drive support (we have two tape drives for five systems)
	- option to read list of files to dump from a file or stdin
	- option to specify a file containing regular expression patterns to
	  ignore (ex:  "*.o", "/tmp/*")
	- option to stay in one file system (required for dumping "/" without
	  getting every NFS mounted file system)
	- option to create (non-standard) internal volume labels, so when I
	  forget to label a tape, I can mount it, do a "gtar -tv" and find out
	  what's on it.

I don't care whether I use dump, tar or cpio format, just as long as daily
and weekly incremental backups are as painless and quick as possible.

rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) (05/26/89)

jmb@patton.sgi.com (Jim Barton) writes:
|In case anyone is interested, I have ported 'pax'

What did you have to change?  Could you post the patches to the source as
well as the binaries?  I've been using pax in its tar incarnation on Iris
4Ds for the last couple of months [since pax was posted] and the only
problem I've encountered has been creating new archives on old tapes that
already have stuff on them.  Is this what you patched?

					Reid

rww@ibuki.UUCP (Richard Weyhrauch) (05/27/89)

I am interested.

Richard

jmb@patton.sgi.com (Jim Barton) (05/31/89)

In article <312@alias.UUCP>, rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) writes:
> jmb@patton.sgi.com (Jim Barton) writes:
> |In case anyone is interested, I have ported 'pax'
>
> What did you have to change?  Could you post the patches to the source as
> well as the binaries?  I've been using pax in its tar incarnation on Iris
> 4Ds for the last couple of months [since pax was posted] and the only
> problem I've encountered has been creating new archives on old tapes that
> already have stuff on them.  Is this what you patched?
>
> 					Reid

Hope you didn't miss my last posting, but my only purpose in posting 'pax'
was for those poor souls without access to the source or a way (or the
knowledge) of how to build it.  If you built it yourself, then it should be
identical to what I built.  I never changed a line of code.