[comp.sys.sgi] BIND nameserver problems [resolv

arc@thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (06/23/89)

In article <8906212039.AA17128@csd360b.erim.org>
jgarb@CSD360B.ERIM.ORG (Joe Garbarino) writes:

>I'm using the BIND nameserver for a 4d we have. when I try to contact a
>computer within our domain giving just the host name (without .erim.org)
>it times out.  If I give the fully qualified name, it works, and after that
>just the hostname works!  This is a bit mysterious.

The local domain is specified in the resolv.conf file.  In IRIX, the file
belongs in /usr/etc. Other BSD-derived systems usually place it in /etc.
Joe had it in /etc.

>Also, when I'm booting my machine, it attempts to mount the NFS,
>but it doesn't recognize the other systems, possibly due to the fact
>that the nameserver isn't up.  What file needs to be changed to get the
>nameserver to start before the NFS file systems are mounted?

Edit /etc/init.d/network script and move the named startup before the
NFS startup.  (This change will be made for the next major release
after IRIX 3.2.) When installing a new release or update, your modified
network script will be renamed to network.O. You'll have to merge your
changes with the new version.