[comp.sys.sgi] questions about tn3270 on the Iris 4D's

fsfacca@LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (07/11/89)

John,

I picked up the tn3270 stuff from your system and with only a minimal amount of
effort, was able to get it running on all of the Iris 4D's (including the
Personal Iris).  I have a couple of questions about it.

1) When I call the tn3270 program from a "toolchest" type window, using
   "wsh -blah -blah -c /usr/local/bin/tn3270 hostname"

   Everything works just fine except that when I press the "delete" key on
   the middle section of keys, the window is aborted due to a bad key mapping
   (or unexpected interrupt).  However, if I just do "tn3270 hostname" from
   the command line, this problem does not exist.  Any ideas on where to look??

2) What exactly is the deal with the PF9-PF12 keys?  I don't understand what
   is meant by "alternate keyboard mapping" as referenced in the wsh(1) man
   page.  I guess you must have had to deal with this when you ported the
   stuff to the Iris's and decided that it was too much of a pain to try to
   get PF9-PF12 working.. do you remember why you didn't map the functions
   directly?

3) I have a tar(1) format file which includes an Iris 4D-specific Makefile
   along with the source which we use to compile "tn3270", if you or anyone
   else would like a copy of it.

4) Great job with the port.  The program works beautifully.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov

ciemo@bananapc.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) (07/12/89)

In article <8907111146.AA19403@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov>, fsfacca@LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:
> John,
>
> I picked up the tn3270 stuff from your system and with only a minimal amount of
> effort, was able to get it running on all of the Iris 4D's (including the
> Personal Iris).  I have a couple of questions about it.
>
> 1) When I call the tn3270 program from a "toolchest" type window, using
>    "wsh -blah -blah -c /usr/local/bin/tn3270 hostname"
>
>    Everything works just fine except that when I press the "delete" key on
>    the middle section of keys, the window is aborted due to a bad key mapping
>    (or unexpected interrupt).  However, if I just do "tn3270 hostname" from
>    the command line, this problem does not exist.  Any ideas on where to look??
> --
> Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
> NASA Lewis Research Center     |
> Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov

The problem "delete" key problems occurs because the tty modes are set
incorrectly for the wsh.  When you launch the tn3270 wsh from the shell
command line, the wsh clones off the tty settings from the shell's controlling
pty.  When you launch the tn3270 wsh from a 4Sight toolchest, there are no
tty settings to clone since 4Sight does not have a controlling tty.  Since,
there are no tty settings, you get default settings for the wsh pty.  In this
case, the default setting probably has the interrupt character set to DEL.

A solution to this differing behaviour between shell and 4Sight launching
behaviors should be available in the forthcoming 3.2 release.

Until that time, you might try a shell script called "tn3270.stty"
containing the following:

	#! /bin/sh
	stty intr ^C  #... other favourite tty settings
	/usr/local/bin/tn3270

Have your toolchest launch the wsh with tn3270.stty instead of
/usr/local/bin/tn3270.

Hope this helps.
Form:		27B-6
Submitted by:	Central Services Operative, DC-473
Task:		Duct repair
Status:		Emergency