[comp.sys.sgi] dog on IRIS 3130

currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Jeffrey M. Currier) (07/13/89)

We have two IRIS 3130's and we used to be able to fly
air to air combat with the dog demo program.  We used to have
to use the 3000.xns kernel, but now with whatever kernel it try
I get the error message:

"Ethernet init failed"

Does anyone know what the solution might be.  Thanks in advance.

Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948       | "Live each day as your last,
Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab | because to die already dead
University of Arizona, Tucson     | is the worst death of all."
currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov      |

dunlap@bigboote.csd.sgi.com (D. Christopher Dunlap) (07/14/89)

In article <2489@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov (Jeffrey M. Currier) writes:
> We have two IRIS 3130's and we used to be able to fly
> air to air combat with the dog demo program.  We used to have
> to use the 3000.xns kernel, but now with whatever kernel it try
> I get the error message:
>
> "Ethernet init failed"
>
> Does anyone know what the solution might be.  Thanks in advance.

> Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948       | "Live each day as your last,
> Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab | because to die already dead
> University of Arizona, Tucson     | is the worst death of all."
> currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov      |

The "dog" program you're running is the xns version. The kernel you're
running isn't.

You might use the "kernels" command to see what kernel you're using
and change to the xns version, or even better, get the TCP version
of dog. (Anyone remember how folks can get copies of that?)

later,

chris

--

D. Christopher Dunlap		email: dunlap@sgi.sgi.com

Hardware Product Support
Customer Support Division
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems

currier@PRANDTL.NAS.NASA.GOV ("'Jeffrey M. Currier'") (07/14/89)

Date: 12 Jul 89 22:16:16 GMT
From: "Jeffrey M. Currier"
 <amelia!prandtl.nas.nasa.gov!currier@ames.arc.nasa.gov>
Subject: dog on IRIS 3130
Sender: info-iris-request@BRL.MIL
To: info-iris@BRL.MIL

We have two IRIS 3130's and we used to be able to fly
air to air combat with the dog demo program.  We used to have
to use the 3000.xns kernel, but now with whatever kernel it try
I get the error message:

"Ethernet init failed"

Does anyone know what the solution might be.  Thanks in advance.

Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948       | "Live each day as your last,
Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab | because to die already dead
University of Arizona, Tucson     | is the worst death of all."
currier@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov      |

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates TAD/TAB ms294 x42854") (07/14/89)

  I used to have that problem.  We run TCP/IP and the dog that comes
with the machine is XNS.  I got the TCP/IP dog source a while
back and compiled it, now I no longer get the "Ethernet init failed".
As far as I know, you only get an "Ethernet init failed" if you are
trying to run a version of dog that doesn't match the protocal your
machine is using.
  The only problem I have now is that it floods the network with too
many packets sent to broadcast, thus over loading the network.  I wish
dog had the ability to read in a file of machine names and only send
packets to those machines.  Has anyone done this?  Without this option
I can't try the network option of dog.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates TAD/TAB ms294 x42854") (07/14/89)

  The only way I know of getting the dog source is to buy the
IRIS Software Exchange Release tape for the 2000/3000 Series.
They also have a release tape for non-GT 4D's. The 2000/3000
tape has:
   SGI Demo Source                Princeton Toolkit
   ICARE                          Slidemaker,
   Naval Postgraduate School S/W  Elecro-Paint & Panel Library
The 4D tape has:
   SGI Demo Source                Elecro-Paint & Panel Library
   Oper                           Slidemaker
Both tapes cost $100.00. Make sure you request that the dog
software be on the tape, you can also get arena if you ask for
it.  Someone at SGI had made changes to dog to allow it to use
icons on 4D's, but in the process "broke" it for the 3000's.
It took me a while to get it fixed, but I did it with some help
from someone at SGI.  Hopefully, they have fixed it.  Send your
request to:

     User Services
     Silicon Graphics, Inc.
     Mailstop 2U-420