[comp.sys.sgi] A port of lpd

srp@cgl.ucsf.edu (Scott R. Presnell%Langridge) (07/11/89)

In article <37519@sgi.SGI.COM> jweldon@renegade.sgi.com (Jack Weldon) writes:

>I will send this to any interested parties in shar form (a Makefile and lpr.c)
>
>Jack Weldon -- jweldon@sgi.com
>Communications Engineer
>SGI Hotline

I have made a reasonably complete port of the BSD line printer stuff to
IRIX (3.1B and up).  Lpd, lpr, lpq, and lprm work as they should, though I
have not tried to use an Iris machine for a "server" to a printer. (I'll
be working on that soon).

I would be willing to send (or post, should that be appropriate) **diffs**
to the 4.3 BSD source, but I cannot post the source code in it's entirety
(legal issues, you know).  The diffs are about 25K.  The port was done on a
4D/20G.

The major difficulties in the port include a lack of support for Unix
domain sockets and some missing/different system calls (like fchown).
Things that have not been ported correctly (yet) include checking the file
system for enough space when spooling a job (I'll get to it if SGI does
not).

Later.

Scott Presnell				       +1 415 476 9890
Dept. of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Univ. of Calif. at San Francisco (UCSF), San Francisco, CA. 94143
Internet: srp@cgl.ucsf.edu UUCP: ucbvax!ucsfcgl!srp Bitnet: srp@ucsfcgl.bitnet

srp@CGL.UCSF.EDU ("'Scott R. Presnell%Langridge'") (07/14/89)

Date: 11 Jul 89 14:40:22 GMT
From: "Scott R. Presnell%Langridge" <srp@cgl.ucsf.edu>
Subject: A port of lpd (Was: re: pseudo lpr for IRIS)
Sender: info-iris-request@BRL.MIL
To: info-iris@BRL.MIL

Date: Thu, 13 Jul 89 16:04:28 CDT
From: "'Scott R. Presnell%Langridge'" <srp@cgl.ucsf.edu>
To: info-iris@BRL.MIL

Date: 11 Jul 89 14:40:22 GMT
From: "Scott R. Presnell%Langridge" <srp@cgl.ucsf.edu>
Sender: info-iris-request@BRL.MIL
To: info-iris@BRL.MIL

pwolfe@kailand.kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) (07/14/89)

/* Written  8:23 am  Jul 14, 1989 by srp@cgl.ucsf.edu in kailand:kai.sgi */
> I would be willing to send (or post, should that be appropriate) **diffs**
> to the 4.3 BSD source, but I cannot post the source code in it's entirety
> (legal issues, you know).

The entire source to the BSD "lpr" package (lpc, lpd, lpr, lprm, etc.) as
distributed with BSD 4.3-tahoe is available via anonymous ftp at uunet.uu.net
(look in /bsd-sources/usr.lib/lpr).  This is one of the pieces of software that
has been determined to be completely free of AT&T source code, and freely
distributable (in other words, you don't need an source license to get, use or
distribute it).

--

        Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
        System Manager, Kuck & Associates, Inc.