[comp.sys.sgi] MIPS Fortran I/O Problem?

scott@capone.gatech.edu (07/28/89)

I am attempting to install Precsion Visual's TEXTPRO fonts on an
SGI Iris 4D. Part of the installation involves converting font
files from ascii text format to a binary format.

The binary file is opened as a direct access, unformatted with a
record length of 480. Each record is basicly 120 integers.
The last record in the file is not full...there are only about 51
integers in it. On most other systems, the last record gets
padded with zeros...however, on the SGI it gets truncated.
I even tried adding RECORDTYPE='fixed', which according to the
manual should force padding of incomplete records, with no
luck.

In this situation, the code is fairly readable and I can force it
to pad by filling the arrays it writes with zeros. However, I may
not be so lucky in other parts of the code I am trying to port.

I am niether a FORTRAN jock or very familiar with SGI...thus I am
not sure if the problem is the result of poor code or a bug in the
MIPS compiler. Any and all clues appreciated...

- Scott

-----
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt, Systems Analyst		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu
Georgia Tech 				BITNET:	  CCUSESH@GITNVE2
Office of Computing Services		404-894-6168

calvin@dinkum.wpd.sgi.com (Calvin H. Vu) (07/31/89)

In article <1250@hydra.gatech.EDU>, scott@capone.gatech.edu writes:

> The binary file is opened as a direct access, unformatted with a
> record length of 480. Each record is basicly 120 integers.
> The last record in the file is not full...there are only about 51
> integers in it. On most other systems, the last record gets
> padded with zeros...however, on the SGI it gets truncated.
	This is a bug in the MIPS Fortran I/O as you suspected.  I have
	personally fixed this bug and sent the fix to MIPS to be
	integrated in their next compiler release.   The fix will be in
	our next 3.2 release.

> - Scott

Calvin Vu
Silicon Graphics