[comp.sys.sgi] Modems for Personal Iris

george@spectrum (08/05/89)

A friend of mine is having difficulties setting up a modem
to his Personal Iris.  No one seem to have set one up.
If you have or are familiar with how to do it, please respond.
Thanx.
					-george  x3115

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (08/05/89)

In article <39618@sgi.SGI.COM>, george@spectrum writes:
> A friend of mine is having difficulties setting up a modem
> to his Personal Iris.  No one seem to have set one up.
> If you have or are familiar with how to do it, please respond.
> Thanx.
> 					-george  x3115

There are many Personal IRIS's around the factory and the Bay Area with
modems, ranging from 1200/2400 Hayes-compatibles to TB+'s and TB-2500's.
Some are using 6-port boards, while others use the built-in ports.

It's straight forward to connect a modem to an IRIS, as to any UNIX box
with reasonable RS-232C support.  All 4D's are essentially identical when
it comes to putting a modem on one of their ports.  It helps to have the
manual for the modem.  With some modems, it may be necessary to use a
break-out box to discover modem craziness.

No 20 word description of RS-232C is sufficiently detailed to be of
interest anywhere but on a TV news program, so I will not attempt to
diagnose these unspecified difficulties.  The most common troubles, in
order, are in the cable, jumpers or settings in the modem,
/usr/lib/uucp/Devices, the permissions and ownership of /dev/tty[dmf]*, and
in /etc/inittab.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com