[comp.sys.sgi] TeX distribution for the SGI

dfr@CAD.USNA.MIL ("David F. Rogers") (07/25/89)

G'day,

The first release of TeX for the SGI Iris 4D series is ready for
distribution.

This has been used at RMIT (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology)
for some months and has worked reasonably well. There should be another
release later this year with an improved previewer and any
improvements/fixes that we make in reponse to comments of other TeX users
on the 4D series. There are a number of improvements in the pipeline,
including better support for pictures in a postscript output file, HP
laserjet (and plus) output as well as a much better previewer.

There isn't a good local guide as there should be. This will be fixed in
the next release.

---

Here is a brief description of the programs useful to most TeX users:

In /usr/local/bin:
tex           - Native TeX v2.93
latex         - LaTeX v2.09
bigtex        - Increased size complex documents/macros -- Common TeX v2.9
biglatex      - Increased size complex documents/macros -- Common TeX v2.9
tgrind        - convert a source file into TeX and optionally (pretty)
                print it

In /usr/local/tex/bin:
initex        - normal initex  -- As described in the TeXbook
virtex        - normal virtex) -- As described in the TeXbook
biginitex     - initex enlarged for those extra big jobs (say picTeX)
bigvirtex     - initex enlarged for those extra big jobs (say picTeX)
bibtex        - BibTeX as documented in the LaTeX book.
texsgi        - version 0.5 of the Iris previewer
dvi2ps        - a dvi -> postscript converter (port of
                tex82/TeXdevices/mitdrivers/dvi2ps)
dvi2tty       - a (very) poor man's previewer
dvitype       - information about a dvi file
tr2tex        - convert a troff document to LaTeX
---

You can send comments etc to

          Mike Gigante
          Applied Computer Graphics Lab
          Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology
          124 Latrobe Street,
          Melbourne, Australia 3001

          +61 3 660 2935
          Email: mg@cidam.oz.au

          or to

          Prof. David F. Rogers
          Aerospace Engineering Dept.
          U.S. Naval Academy
          Annapolis, MD 21402, USA

          (301) 267 3283/4/5
          Email: dfr@usna.navy.mil

          who has offered to act as the US distribution point.

email comments should be sent to both Mike Gigante and Dave Rogers.

Binaries are located on vgr.brl.mil (192.5.23.6) at BRL in directory

/usr/spool/ftp/info-iris

in file

texbin.tar.Z

and may be obtained by anonymous ftp. The compressed tar file is
approximately 5.8 megabytes!

Dave Rogers will provide a distribution (US & Canada only) on SGI
hi-density cartridge tapes if you ABSOLUTELY cannot ftp them.  To get
these tapes send three (3) 3M DC600A 600 ft, 12,500 ftpi hi-density
cartridge tapes to him at the above address.

Mike Gigante will provide a similar service for the rest of the world.

To install the distribution

ftp file:       zcat texbin.tar.Z | tar xvf -

cartridge tape: tar xv

Place the following in your path:

/usr/local/bin   and  /usr/local/tex/bin

and you are ready to go. A README file is in /usr/local/tex/README.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolute path names were used to simplify our distribution task.

The compressed tar file will expand into an estimated 15-18 megabytes
in /usr. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH DISC SPACE.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will need to set the following environment variables to use dvi2tty,
it is suggested that you put this in /etc/cshrc (/etc/profile) so
that everyone gets it by default..

setenv DVI2TTY ""

(or for Bourne shell users

DVI2TTY=""; export DVI2TTY)

It is recommended that you use the -q option for the present
implementation of the texsgi previewer.

Dave Rogers
Mike Gigante
7/24/89

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (07/25/89)

The normal Unix TeX from University of Washington compiles quite easily, for
those who prefer going that route (as do all the normal TeX and Metafont tools
included there).

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

mg@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Mike Gigante) (07/26/89)

Of course, you can always make a symbolic link to some otherplace e.g.

	(as root)
	# mkdir /d/tex
	 (assuming /usr/local exists and /usr/local/tex doesn't)
	# ln -s /d/tex /usr/local/tex
	# zcat texbin.tar.Z | tar xvf -

If you don't want to extract to the absolute pathnames, you can always do

	# zcat texbin.tar.Z | tar xvRf -

One final thing is that I built TeX and friends assuming the absolute
pathnames as distributed in texbin.tar.Z, if you want to move it elsewhere
you can do so but will need to set a number of environment variables

TEXINPUTS [/usr/local/tex/inputs]
TEXFORMATS [/usr/local/tex/formats] & [/usr/local/tex/bigformats]
TEXFONTS [/usr/local/tex/fonts/tfm] (for TeX) (it is different for TeXsgi)

There may be more that I have forgotten...

Anyhow,good luck!

Mike Gigante

mg@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Mike Gigante) (07/27/89)

From ucbvax!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy Wed Jul 26 15:49:08 PDT 1989

>The normal Unix TeX from University of Washington compiles quite easily, for
>those who prefer going that route (as do all the normal TeX and Metafont tools
>included there).
>
>Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
>AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

Except that you won't get the previewer that way....

Mike

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (07/27/89)

mg@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (Mike Gigante) writes:

>Except that you won't get the previewer that way....

I count at least 4 Irises around here with plain terminals as their consoles.
A 4d/240 makes a nice compute server, y'know.  And it does run X client
applications just fine so far...

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (07/28/89)

Can a copy of the just the IRIS previewer from the TeX
distribution be put on vgr.brl.mil?

I already have UNIX TeX installed, so all I really want
is the previewer. It would be a shame to pull over everything,
unpack it, and only use a small portion of it (not to mention
the amount of time and disk space required).

Louis McDonald

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (07/28/89)

   That goes form me too.  All I am interested in is the previewer.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

mg@cidam.me.rmit.oz.AU ("Mike A. Gigante") (08/08/89)

I'll take a look at how the previewer works (or otherwise) on the 3000 machines
sometime this week.

If it works without too much trouble then we'll have a 3000 previewer availeble
on the BRL archives before too long.

It *should* be simple but you never know.....

Mike