[comp.sys.sgi] Connecting ATT 7300 to SGI network

W0L@PSUVM.BITNET (Bill Lasher) (08/08/89)

We have a lab of SGI personal IRIS machines.  We would like to attach a PC so w
e can transfer CADKEY files from DOS based PC's.  We have the opportunity to ge
t two ATT 7300's for free, but we don't know much about them.  Can the ATT read
 DOS files without a special board?  What would it take to hook them up to the
SGI ethernet (running TCP/IP, NFS)?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

stratego@MANTA.NOSC.MIL (Steve Strategos) (08/10/89)

Bill Lasher asks:

	We have a lab of SGI personal IRIS machines.  We would like to attach
	a PC so we can transfer CADKEY files from DOS based PC's.  We have the
	opportunity to get two ATT 7300's for free, but we don't know much about
	them.  Can the ATT read DOS files without a special board?  What would
	it take to hook them up to the SGI ethernet (running TCP/IP, NFS)?  Any
	suggestions would be appreciated.

The ATT 7300 will read and write DOS files on the built in floppy, as well as
format DOS disks.  You will, however, need an add-on board if you want to run
DOS executables on the 7300.  There is no ethernet capability on the 7300 and as
far as I know there are no add-on cards available.  I have always used the built
in modem or the serial line for connecting to other computers.  Hope this helps.

Steve Strategos
voice: (703) 827-4700

grant@clleth.UUCP (Grant Fengstad) (08/10/89)

In article <89220.115610W0L@PSUVM>, W0L@PSUVM.BITNET (Bill Lasher) writes:
> We have a lab of SGI personal IRIS machines.  We would like to attach a PC so w
> e can transfer CADKEY files from DOS based PC's.  We have the opportunity to ge
> t two ATT 7300's for free, but we don't know much about them.  Can the ATT read
>  DOS files without a special board?  What would it take to hook them up to the
> SGI ethernet (running TCP/IP, NFS)?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am not aware of any support for the 3B1/7300 to co-exist with TCP/IP or
NFS.  The box has a proprietary bus and the only expansion cards that I
have heard of are RAM, rs-232 and AT&T Starlan.  The 7300 will read DOS
files (only 360K format) and allow you to copy them to the Unix file system.
Feasibly, you could connect the box Asynchronously.

--
Grant M. Fengstad     "The ideas expressed are my own - not my employers"
Sr. CSR, Systems Integration - ComputerLand (Canada)

bennett@galois.esd.sgi.com (Jim Bennett) (08/11/89)

In article <8908091853.AA10794@manta.nosc.mil>, stratego@MANTA.NOSC.MIL (Steve Strategos) writes:
> Bill Lasher asks:
>

> 	We have a lab of SGI personal IRIS machines.  We would like to attach
> 	a PC so we can transfer CADKEY files from DOS based PC's.  We have the
> 	opportunity to get two ATT 7300's for free, but we don't know much about
> 	them.  Can the ATT read DOS files without a special board?  What would
> 	it take to hook them up to the SGI ethernet (running TCP/IP, NFS)?  Any
> 	suggestions would be appreciated.
>

> The ATT 7300 will read and write DOS files on the built in floppy, as well as
> format DOS disks.  You will, however, need an add-on board if you want to run
> DOS executables on the 7300.  There is no ethernet capability on the 7300 and as
> far as I know there are no add-on cards available.  I have always used the built
> in modem or the serial line for connecting to other computers.  Hope this helps.
>
> Steve Strategos
> voice: (703) 827-4700

I just wanted to add that there was an ethernet card developed for the 7300
(aka the Unix PC).  The software supported TCP/IP and the usual Berkeley
commands (rlogin, rcp, etc.).  NFS was not supported.

Try posting a request to one of the unix-pc newsgroups for more info.

Jim Bennett		bennett@esd.sgi.com

marsella@athos.rutgers.edu (Stacy Marsella) (08/12/89)

There was an ethernet board made for the 7300, as well as TCP/IP
software (no nfs - as far as I know). The software was done by
Wollengong (sp?). I know because we are presently using the
boards/software.

Stacy Marsella