[comp.sys.sgi] Problems with Exabyte

jdh@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jason Heirtzler) (08/04/89)

Is anyone using an Exabyte tape drive from Introl with a
multi-processor SGI ?

This is supposedly the people that SGI recommends, but it won't work
with a multi-processor machine !  When I installed the driver as per
their instructions and booted up, the screen hung as soon as the
windowing system started.  So, I waited (about a month) while they
changed their driver (the response I got from the person who wrote the
driver was "we never tried that") but still it doesn't work correctly.
It's hard to believe that no one tried it with a multi-processor until
now..

As it stands right now, we can't read tapes unless we specify the no
rewind device (/dev/dk2300Ta) and Introl is waiting for us to send
them a copy of the kernel printfs..

The machine in question is an IRIS-4D GTX running 3.1F

Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks..

Jason Heirtzler

Jason Heirtzler           (617) 353-2780       jdh@bu-it.bu.edu
Information Technology    Boston University    ..!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!jdh

markb@denali.sgi.com (Mark Bradley) (08/05/89)

In article <35820@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, jdh@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jason Heirtzler) writes:
> Is anyone using an Exabyte tape drive from Introl with a
> multi-processor SGI ?
>
> This is supposedly the people that SGI recommends, but it won't work
> with a multi-processor machine !  When I installed the driver as per
> their instructions and booted up, the screen hung as soon as the
> windowing system started.  So, I waited (about a month) while they
> changed their driver (the response I got from the person who wrote the
> driver was "we never tried that") but still it doesn't work correctly.
> It's hard to believe that no one tried it with a multi-processor until
> now..
>
> As it stands right now, we can't read tapes unless we specify the no
> rewind device (/dev/dk2300Ta) and Introl is waiting for us to send
> them a copy of the kernel printfs..
>
> The machine in question is an IRIS-4D GTX running 3.1F
>
> Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks..
>
> Jason Heirtzler

> Jason Heirtzler           (617) 353-2780       jdh@bu-it.bu.edu
> Information Technology    Boston University    ..!harvard!bu-cs!bu-it!jdh

Silicon Graphics recommends that you buy the 8mm helical scan tape drive
from Silicon Graphics--NOT from Introl.  It works just fine on our MP
and non-MP machines off our own SCSI and with our own driver.  I have not
seen nor had the opportunity to test Introl's product, hence it is not
presently blessed as functional on our systems, as far as I know.

						markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."

jdh@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jason Heirtzler) (08/12/89)

In article <39568@sgi.SGI.COM> markb@denali.sgi.com (Mark Bradley) says:
>Silicon Graphics recommends that you buy the 8mm helical scan tape drive
>from Silicon Graphics--NOT from Introl.  It works just fine on our MP
>and non-MP machines off our own SCSI and with our own driver.  I have not
>seen nor had the opportunity to test Introl's product, hence it is not
>presently blessed as functional on our systems, as far as I know.

Well, that may be what they recommend now, but it wasn't what they
recommended a little while ago!  We purchased this drive on advice
from our SGI rep.

A question to the SGI people on the net: will the SGI 8mm tape driver
be available as part of the standard kernel in the next OS release 3.2
(?) or will this be supplied on a special tape to those that purchased
the unit directly from SGI ?

jeremy@perf2.sgi.com (Jeremy Higdon) (08/14/89)

In article <36317@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, jdh@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jason Heirtzler) writes:
> A question to the SGI people on the net: will the SGI 8mm tape driver
> be available as part of the standard kernel in the next OS release 3.2
> (?) or will this be supplied on a special tape to those that purchased
> the unit directly from SGI ?

The 8mm tape support will be part of the standard kernel in 3.2.