[comp.sys.sgi] f77 bug

finnd%vax.runit.unit.uninett@NAC.NO (Finn Drablos) (08/11/89)

I am using a 4D/70GT with IRIX 3.1D. When I try to compile the following
short fortran program with f77
      program test
      integer i,time
      i=time()
      write(*,*) i
      stop
      end
all I get is "bad number of arguments to intrinsic time". But according
to the documentation there should be no arguments to time .... Is there
a bug in f77, or am I doing something stupid ? If there is a bug, is
there an easy way around this problem ?

==================
Finn Drablos                 PHONE +47 7 597710        FAX +47 7 597708
MR-Senteret, SINTEF          MHS(EAN)    : finnd@vax.runit.unit.uninett
N-7034 TRONDHEIM, NORWAY     EARN/BITNET : drabloes@norunit

calvin@dinkum.wpd.sgi.com (Calvin H. Vu) (08/14/89)

In article <52*finnd@vax.runit.unit.uninett>, finnd%vax.runit.unit.uninett@NAC.NO (Finn Drablos) writes:
> I am using a 4D/70GT with IRIX 3.1D. When I try to compile the following
> short fortran program with f77
>       program test
>       integer i,time
>       i=time()
>       write(*,*) i
>       stop
>       end
> all I get is "bad number of arguments to intrinsic time". But according
> to the documentation there should be no arguments to time .... Is there
> a bug in f77, or am I doing something stupid ? If there is a bug, is
> there an easy way around this problem ?

	MIPS introduced an intrinsic version of time() in their 1.31 release
	for VMS compatibility.   To use the older library version of time()
	you need to add 'EXTERNAL TIME' in the program unit that uses it.
	This is documented in the 3.1 release notes although our man pages
	could not keep up with these changes.   I'll make a note to make sure
	that the man page for time() will reflect both versions.   Thanks
	for reminding us.

> Finn Drablos                 PHONE +47 7 597710        FAX +47 7 597708
> MR-Senteret, SINTEF          MHS(EAN)    : finnd@vax.runit.unit.uninett
> N-7034 TRONDHEIM, NORWAY     EARN/BITNET : drabloes@norunit

Calvin Vu
Silicon Graphics,