[comp.sys.sgi] install tools

mitch@rock.sgi.com (Thomas P. Mitchell) (08/16/89)

In article <40113@sgi.SGI.COM> donl@glass.wpd.sgi.com (donl mathis) writes:
>In article <Aug.11.17.02.07.1989.21301@topaz.rutgers.edu>, elkins@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Elkins) writes:
>> > We just received 3.1G, and after performing an automatic installation, now
>>
>> ...... back and use manual installation, list
>> available subsystems,

>This is true.  The installation tool uses the online installation
>history to determine default subsystem selections.
Lots of good stuff was here.
>- donl mathis at Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Mountain View, CA
>
>donl@sgi.com

The install tools that SGI has put together are powerful.  Also
because the release is so large some things are not installed by
default.

Here are some hints for installing updates or full releases:

0) Back up your work in a way you understand and can test.

1) set verbose   /* watch all the action */
   do this both in the system "chkconfig verbose on"
   and within the install tool "set verbose".

2) select manual /* take charge -- its your system */

3) select step and list or mark all available subsystems
   in your system notebook.  Give special attention on
   the list to all the options which are not already marked yes.
   Yes mark 4Dgifts as a yes.

If you elect to install something which you later want to remove
use 'versions' to  remove the option.  The 'versions' program
will keep the install database current which in turn helps later
updates keep up with you.  Beyond "versions remove" there are
things like "versions user" which will help you find things
you have added or changed.  Use versions a lot.

Often missed SGI/Irix tools are:

	inst		/* this does all the work on install	*/
	versions	/* too good to miss			*/
	chkconfig	/* use to turn on or off a package	*/
			/* do not edit inittab files see this first */
	file		/* as in "file core" to see what exploded */
	/etc/inittab 	/* starts all things			*/
			/* inittab is must reading		*/
	strings      	/* what program left what nasty message */
        /usr/adm/SYSLOG /* log file for system, watch before a problem */
	man          	/* start with man man			*/
	permuted index  /* don't leave home without it (in the manuals) */
	:set list 	/* within vi see what your may be missing */
	cron 		/* takes a lick and keeps on ticking  	*/
	crontab		/* used to submit files to cron		*/

---
Thanks,
mitch

Thomas P. Mitchell (ARPA:mitch@csd.sgi.com, UUCP:  {decwrl,ucbvax}!sgi!mitch )
Rainbows -- The best (well second best) reason for windows.