[comp.sys.sgi] fx

frobinso@cirm.northrop.com (Fletcher Robinson) (07/15/89)

When setting parameters for disk drive formating using 'fx',
it defaults to a data rate of (3). How does this translate into
megabits per second ?

markb@denali.sgi.com (Mark Bradley) (07/22/89)

In article <8907201712.aa03050@ADM.BRL.MIL>, frobinso@cirm.northrop.com (Fletcher Robinson) writes:
> When setting parameters for disk drive formating using 'fx',
> it defaults to a data rate of (3). How does this translate into
> megabits per second ?

This is a vestigal remnant of a previously required field in the unit
initialization block of our old controllers.  It has no relationship
with drive or controller transfer rate today.

					markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."

frobinso@cirm.northrop.com (Fletcher Robinson) (08/16/89)

Has anyone successfully integrated a MAXTOR XT-4830 disk drive with a
INTERPHASE 3102 ESDI controller on a 4D70GT running 3.1G. FX seems to
format the drive okay, but then complains about not being able to write
the label. Then it can't find the sectors it formated ... ?