[comp.sys.sgi] lp

frobinso@cirm.northrop.com (Fletcher Robinson) (08/16/89)

I was running 3.1C on a 4D70GT and I had a dumb printer hanging off a
serial port. I installed REV.G and the printer configuration went into
the twilite zone ...

Now, whenever I issue a lp , lpadmin , or lpstat command, it goes away
for about 30 to 60 seconds only to return an error message :

           can't lock printer status

Any ideas about what happened and how do I repair it ??????????

jweldon@renegade.csd.sgi.com (Jack Weldon) (08/17/89)

In article <8908151823.aa12890@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, frobinso@cirm.northrop.com (Fletcher Robinson) writes:
> I was running 3.1C on a 4D70GT and I had a dumb printer hanging off a
> serial port. I installed REV.G and the printer configuration went into
> the twilite zone ...
>
> Now, whenever I issue a lp , lpadmin , or lpstat command, it goes away
> for about 30 to 60 seconds only to return an error message :
>
>            can't lock printer status
>
> Any ideas about what happened and how do I repair it ??????????

We here in the Product Support Group have noticed a few calls concerning this,
but NOT all users that updated to 3.1G have seen the problem you have.
To remedy the situation, do a chown lp /usr/spool/lp (as root, of course).

The problem is that lp can't access its own files.  Please call the Hotline
if this does NOT remedy it.  We are investigating the problem now here in
Product Support with the assistance of the Software Release Group.

Jack Weldon
Product Support System Engineer
Communications Group
--

Cheers,
Jack			"Elvis is alive and well and living in a trailer

fsfacca@LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (08/17/89)

Fletcher Robinson <frobinso@cirm.northrop.com> writes:

> I was running 3.1C on a 4D70GT and I had a dumb printer hanging off a
> serial port. I installed REV.G and the printer configuration went into
> the twilite zone ...

> Now, whenever I issue a lp , lpadmin , or lpstat command, it goes away
> for about 30 to 60 seconds only to return an error message :

>		can't lock printer status

> Any ideas about what happened and how do I repair it ??????????

I had a similar problem, not quite the same when I upgraded to 3.1 the first
time.  I was getting a "printer xxx has disappeared!" message.  It turned out
that if I needed to create a couple of status files in the /usr/spool/lp
directory.  I did this:

	cp /dev/null /usr/spool/lp/pstatus
	cp /dev/null /usr/spool/lp/qstatus

and the printer "re-appeared".  Now, I was just grasping at straws when I
did this, but it solved my problem.  I would also check the permissions on
the /dev/tty port to which the printer is attached, maybe it got hosed
during the installation.  Mine says:

crw-rw----   2 lp       bin        0,  4 Aug 16 15:11 /dev/ttyd4

If all else fails, why not re-install the printer.  There is a program
called "preset" which does a good job of removing printers (all of them,
by the way).

Hope this helps..
Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov