[comp.sys.sgi] Looking for a profiling tool for SGI 4D machines

adiro@TAURUS.BITNET (08/30/89)

We are looking for a profiling tool which produces a call graph with
execution times of the different routines. It is to be applied to
executable files. Especially we are interested in tools suitable for
the C programming language.

We are thinking of something like the 'gprof' tool that exists on Sun
workstations.

Please reply to adiro@taurus.bitnet or adiro@math.tau.ac.il.

Thank you in advance.

Adi Rosen

ciemo@bananapc.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) (08/31/89)

In article <1095@taurus.BITNET>, adiro@TAURUS.BITNET writes:
> We are looking for a profiling tool which produces a call graph with
> execution times of the different routines. It is to be applied to
> executable files. Especially we are interested in tools suitable for
> the C programming language.

I'm not sure what gprof does but you can use pixie(1) and prof(1) to
profile your application.  Take your application, foo.  To prepare
you application for profiling, use:

	pixie foo

To collect the profile data, run the file "foo.pixie" which was created
by "pixie foo".

prof has numerous options for view the profile data.  To get "call graph"
statistics, use "prof -pixie -invocations foo".

Something useful I have found using "prof" is to use "-quit 1%".  What you
might do is this.

	prof -pixie -quit 1% foo	# find out which routine(s) are most
					# heavily used

	prof -pixie -invocations -only most_heavily_used_function
					# to find out which routines call
					# the most_heavily_used_function
					# and how many times it is called
					# from each of those functions

Hope this helps.
			Cosmo Ciemo, Silicon Valley Dude

I was traipsing through the fields of my mind when I stepped in something that
smelled rather ripe.