[comp.sys.sgi] IRIX 3.1G implementation of X

russo@chaos.utexas.edu (Tom Russo) (08/30/89)

Well, we got the Revision G tapes installed along with SGI's X development
system, and I must say it is a bit irritating that SGI has chosen to implement
X fonts in a nonstandard way.  We have some X software that used to run under
the alpha release of X, but it uses TeX fonts (made into X fonts with some
application programs), so it no longer works on the Iris.

So, is there any way to force the IRIX X system to use X fonts as
generated by bdftosnf.  Has anybody out there gotten TEXX2 to run on a
4D running 3.1G?  Is there a better TeX previewer around?  Has SGI got
any plans to support true X fonts in the next release?

Looking over the Font Management section of the release notes, I see
mentions of designing ones own fonts. Since we have the X versions of the
TeX fonts already made, is there any way to convert them to NeWS fonts?  Like,
is there a utility bundled in with the development kit?  Or am I missing
something obvious?  If the answer is to RTFM, which FM should I R?  I see
no reference to X fonts anywhere except in the release notes.

Thanks...

|Thomas Russo		       |  russo@chaos.utexas.edu	       |
|Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, University of Texas at Austin          |

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (08/30/89)

   Where did you get TEXX2?  Is this previewer general enough to use
on othe machines?  Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (08/31/89)

In article <17810@ut-emx.UUCP>, russo@chaos.utexas.edu (Tom Russo) writes:
> Well, we got the Revision G tapes installed along with SGI's X development
> system, and I must say it is a bit irritating that SGI has chosen to implement
> X fonts in a nonstandard way.  We have some X software that used to run under
> the alpha release of X, but it uses TeX fonts (made into X fonts with some
> application programs), so it no longer works on the Iris.
>
> So, is there any way to force the IRIX X system to use X fonts as
> generated by bdftosnf.  Has anybody out there gotten TEXX2 to run on a
> 4D running 3.1G?  Is there a better TeX previewer around?  Has SGI got
> any plans to support true X fonts in the next release?

If you have bdf files you can use the standard dumpfont and bldfamily
utilities to convert them to fonts suitable for use by the SGI font
manager libfm.a (which is used by both X and NeWS).

If you have programs that generate "snf" files then you are asking for
trouble.  There is no guarantee that one X server's "server natural form"
is the smae as another's.  Even if the structures are the same the bits
may be ordered differently.
--
	-Mark