[comp.sys.sgi] Icon questions

fsfacca@LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (08/09/89)

We are beginning to acquire quite an installed base of Personal Iris's here at
the lab, and one strange problem has come up on several occassions.  There are
several icons that get started by the system (tools, windows, and demos, I
think) and we add a few local ones to the "user.ps" in the /usr/NeWS/lib
directory for all to use.  Each user may then add a couple of their own.

Why is it that sometimes, not all of the icons get fired up??  This seems to
happen more frequently on the 8Meg systems than on the 12 and 16Meg ones.
One user complained that she actually got two of the same icon?  Is this
possible (without starting a second "chest" from the command line, of course)?

Has anyone else noticed this?  Or what about icons popping up in different
order?  When you are the only user, shouldn't the system do pretty much the
same thing each time you login?  It would be nice to always have the icons in
the same place, so I could get used to them.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov

timelord@eos.UUCP (G. Murdock Helms) (08/09/89)

(Tony Facca) writes, about Personal Iris icons:
>Has anyone else noticed this?  Or what about icons popping up in different
>order?  When you are the only user, shouldn't the system do pretty much the
>same thing each time you login?  It would be nice to always have the icons in
>the same place, so I could get used to them.

Funny, I've noticed the same thing.  I have the standard Demos, Windows and
Tools icons up, plus one additional one called Hosts (it's straight outta
the manual, actually).  Sometimes Hosts comes up first, sometimes Tools
comes up first, I never know which.

There was also one isolated incident on a 4DGTX where the icons came up,
the user ran a few graphics programs, and voila, the icons had disappeared.
We had to log out and log back in to get the icons back.

-Murdock
timelord@eos.arc.nasa.gov
A3I Project
NASA/Ames Research Center

moss@BRL.MIL ("Gary S. Moss", VLD/VMB) (08/11/89)

[Tony Facca writes]
< Why is it that sometimes, not all of the icons get fired up??
< Has anyone else noticed this?  Or what about icons popping up in different
< order?

Yes, I have noticed that sometimes my RestartActions executable array does
not always succeed in starting up the console window when I hit the 'restart'
entry on my Max menu.  More than half the time all three windows come up,
but occasionally the console does not, and usually the console comes up last,
but occasionally the wsh is last.  I am running 3.1D on a 4D/60 Turbo.  Here
is what RestartActions looks like in my user.ps file:

/RestartActions [
       { (ical) forkunix }
       { forkwsh }
       { RunConsole }
] def

-moss

PS: Does anyone know a way to program 4Sight to allow a 'click to type' style
of attaching windows?  I have a couple of applications that broke when Mex
went away because they control the graphics cursor by typing commands in a
text window.  There is currently no work-around for the problem of having to
have the graphics cursor in the window where you are typing.  Note that
holding down a key while moving the cursor out of the window does not help
in the slightest with this type of interaction.

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (08/31/89)

In article <8908091355.AA16279@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov>, fsfacca@LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:

> We are beginning to acquire quite an installed base of Personal Iris's here at
> the lab, and one strange problem has come up on several occassions.  There are
> several icons that get started by the system (tools, windows, and demos, I
> think) and we add a few local ones to the "user.ps" in the /usr/NeWS/lib
> directory for all to use.  Each user may then add a couple of their own.
>
> Why is it that sometimes, not all of the icons get fired up??  This seems to
> happen more frequently on the 8Meg systems than on the 12 and 16Meg ones.
> One user complained that she actually got two of the same icon?  Is this
> possible (without starting a second "chest" from the command line, of course)?

The missing toolchests (as we call them):
    I assume you are running 3.1 Revision D.  There is a race condition that
    has been present since release 3.0 but for some reason didn't show up until
    now.

    The fix is to edit the file /usr/NeWS/lib/NeWS/init.ps and move the call
    to "StartMostThings" to the end of the function "go!" just before this
    line:

	StartMostThings
	systemdict /cursorfont known {/ptr /ptr_m setRootCursor} if

    I don't have a release 3.1D system available to be make diffs, sorry.
    I posted the fix a few weeks ago.

    This is fixed in Rev G and Release 3.2.

The duplicate chests:
    I don't know anyway to do this except to run the chest commands again.

The random ordering:
    This happens because we are forking unix processes to connect to the
    server and the order they connect in is at the mercy of the Unix
    scheduler.  In release 3.2 we have created a utility called seqfork
    that waits for the connection to happen before returning.  This
    gives us a guaranteed order at the expense of a slightly slower startup.

--
	-Mark