[comp.sys.sgi] Sound chip for the Personal IRIS

sjm@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott J Mark) (08/30/89)

	In the graphics users' manual, under the section on porting
applications to the Personal IRIS, it mentions that the Personal IRIS
has a sound chip.  I haven't been able to find any other information
on whether this chip indeed exists, and how to use it if it does.
	We have a complete set of manuals, but no index has an entry
for "sound."  Can anyone clear this up please?

							Scott
--
sjm@cs.purdue.edu

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (08/31/89)

In article <7783@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, sjm@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott J Mark) writes:

> 	In the graphics users' manual, under the section on porting
> applications to the Personal IRIS, it mentions that the Personal IRIS
> has a sound chip.  I haven't been able to find any other information
> on whether this chip indeed exists, and how to use it if it does.
> 	We have a complete set of manuals, but no index has an entry
> for "sound."  Can anyone clear this up please?

The sound chip exists on all Personal Irises.  The only documentation is
the man page for the driver /dev/audio.  You will need to get a speaker
and microphone.  The PI has miniature audio jacks in the back.

--
	-Mark

SERRER@nrcm3.nrc.ca (Martin Serrer - Systems Manager) (08/31/89)

Hi,
Scott Mark of  Department of Computer Science, Purdue University writes...

>        In the graphics users' manual, under the section on porting
>applications to the Personal IRIS, it mentions that the Personal IRIS
>has a sound chip.  I haven't been able to find any other information
>on whether this chip indeed exists, and how to use it if it does.
>        We have a complete set of manuals, but no index has an entry
>for "sound."  Can anyone clear this up please?

  Try looking in the back of the IRIS-4D System Administrators Reference Manual
Section 1M -Section 7  in the special files section under AUDIO(7)  The
description is somewhat terse and lacking in examples but there is something
there.
  Now if SGI would only document the AUDIO channel on my 4D50 processor card...

                                        Martin
|  Martin Serrer     -    Systems Munger   |     |     |   +---+   /----\      |
|  Systems Laboratory,  Bldg. M-3 RM.118   |     |\    |   |   |  |      \     |
|  Division of Mechanical Engineering      |     | \   |   |   |  |            |
|  National Research Council of Canada     |     |  \  |   |---+  |            |
|  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    K1A-0R6      |     |   \ |   | \    |            |
|  serrer@syslab.nrc.ca   (BITNET)         |     |    \|   |  \   |      /     |
|  (613) 993-9442         (Bell)           |     |     |   |   \   \----/      |
+          Software Rusts...               Rust never Sleeps...                +

tim@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) (08/31/89)

> The sound chip exists on all Personal Irises.  The only documentation is
> the man page for the driver /dev/audio.  You will need to get a speaker
> and microphone.  The PI has miniature audio jacks in the back.

Does anybody have any info on things like leves and impedences for these
jacks or are they some "standard"?

Thanks in advance,
	Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	{decvax,attcan,watmath,...}!utzoo!dciem!tim
	uunet!csri.toronto.edu!dciem!tim or nrcaer!dciem!tim
	tim@ben.dciem.dnd.ca or tim@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca

wiltse@oceana.esd.sgi.com (Wiltse Carpenter) (09/01/89)

In article <7783@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, sjm@cs.purdue.EDU (Scott J Mark) writes:

> 	In the graphics users' manual, under the section on porting
> applications to the Personal IRIS, it mentions that the Personal IRIS
> has a sound chip.  I haven't been able to find any other information
> on whether this chip indeed exists, and how to use it if it does.
> 	We have a complete set of manuals, but no index has an entry
> for "sound."  Can anyone clear this up please?

It's under ``audio'' in section 7 of the IRIS 4D Programmer's Reference
Manual.  Type: man audio.

	-Wiltse

rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) (09/01/89)

Look up /dev/audio.  For fun, hook up a mike and some speakers, and
type "cat /dev/audio > file" and talk into the mike.  When you're finished,
hit interrupt [^C, DEL, whatever], and then type "cat file > /dev/audio".

Note that the mike and speakers should be heavily shielded.  And the
speakers should probably be on a ghetto blaster since you use 'line out'
jacks.
					Reid
---
Reid Ellis, 264 Broadway Avenue, Toronto ON, M4P 1V9, Canada
rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca, rae@geac.uucp, rae@ziebmef.uucp,
rae@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca, rae@tnir.uucp      +1 416 487 1383

sanjay@nirvana.esd.sgi.com (Sanjay Iyer) (09/07/89)

In article <8908311403.AA05313@zorac.DCIEM.DND.CA>, tim@zorac.dciem.dnd.ca (Tim Pointing) writes:
> > The sound chip exists on all Personal Irises.  The only documentation is
> > the man page for the driver /dev/audio.  You will need to get a speaker
> > and microphone.  The PI has miniature audio jacks in the back.
>
> Does anybody have any info on things like leves and impedences for these
> jacks or are they some "standard"?

This ought to help:

            PERSONAL IRIS AUDIO I/O INFORMATION

Line input:

       +/- 2.5 v (input is AC coupled) is full scale to ADC
       ADC is 8-bit, 2's complement
       Input impedance is 22K ohms.
       Input gains not adjustable.

       Frequency response:
           20 Hz -  13 KHz @ 32K/sec sampling rate
           20 Hz - 6.6 KHz @ 16K/sec sampling rate
           20 Hz - 3.3 KHz @  8K/sec sampling rate

Microphone input:

       +/- 3.8 mv (input is AC coupled) is full scale to ADC
       ADC is 8-bit, 2's complement
       Input impedance 330 ohms.
       Designed for use with 300 ohm microphone.
       Input is summed (analog) with line input.

Output:

       With full output gain (0xff) and no load, output swings +/- 4.9 v.
       Reduced output gain linearly reduces swing.
       Output is AC coupled (~4 ohms in series with 220 uf).
       Can directly drive 8 ohm speaker.

(By the way there is no single sound chip; the audio circuit is composed of
 a combined ADC-DAC, another DAC for output gain control, a switched-capacitor
 filter, and misc amps).