[comp.sys.sgi] GIF to SGI...?

louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) (08/30/89)

Does anyone have a GIF2SGI program so I can display some
GIF images on the screen? I have gif2ps (postscript), and
would prefer not re-inventing the wheel...

Louis McDonald

--
Louis McDonald
The Aerospace Corporation

goss@SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM (Mike Goss) (08/30/89)

Regarding the message:
> Date: 29 Aug 89 19:09:24 GMT
> From: "Louis M. McDonald" <usc!aero!louis@rutgers.edu>
> Subject: GIF to SGI...?
>
> Does anyone have a GIF2SGI program so I can display some
> GIF images on the screen? I have gif2ps (postscript), and
> would prefer not re-inventing the wheel...

If you have a 4D running 4Sight, you should theoretically be able to
display PostScript images you get from gif2ps.  There is a utility
called "psview" that comes with the system which will display PostScript
files in a window on the screen.
------------------------------
Mike Goss
Merit Technology Inc.
(214)733-7018
goss@snow-white.merit-tech.com

phillips@grads.cs.ubc.ca (George Phillips) (09/01/89)

In article <56867@aerospace.AERO.ORG> louis@aerospace.aero.org (Louis M. McDonald) writes:
>Does anyone have a GIF2SGI program so I can display some
>GIF images on the screen? I have gif2ps (postscript), and
>would prefer not re-inventing the wheel...
>
>Louis McDonald

I wrote a program called igif which will display GIF images on a personal
iris *.  It uses 24 bit RGB mode, so I suspect that greatly limits what
SGI machines it will run on.  Someone more familiar with graphics programming
could probably easily change it to use a colour mapped mode (GIF files are
pretty much limited to 256 colours).

Send me mail if you're intested in getting this program and I'll either mail
you a copy (it's about 23K) or post it here (if there is enough interest
and if posting code here is acceptable).

While I'm on the subject, I've also written a program to display the 24 bit
RGB images found on venera.isi.edu.  It's < 5K and I'm willing to share it too.

* In fact, I used someone else's decoder and wrote the interface bits myself.

--
George Phillips phillips@cs.ubc.ca {alberta,uw-beaver,uunet}!ubc-cs!phillips

rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) (09/01/89)

goss@SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM (Mike Goss) writes:
|There is a utility
|called "psview" that comes with the system which will display PostScript
|files in a window on the screen.

Be warned that psview doesn't work for bitmaps [i.e. "image"s].  However, if
you hide/stow all your windows, you can use the desktop itself via 'psh', the
PostScript shell.  Just say something like "psh<file.ps" and la voila!

						Reid
---
Reid Ellis, 264 Broadway Avenue, Toronto ON, M4P 1V9, Canada
rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca, rae@geac.uucp, rae@ziebmef.uucp,
rae@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca, rae@tnir.uucp      +1 416 487 1383

msc@ramoth.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (09/08/89)

In article <453@alias.UUCP>, rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) writes:
> Be warned that psview doesn't work for bitmaps [i.e. "image"s].  However, if
> you hide/stow all your windows, you can use the desktop itself via 'psh', the
> PostScript shell.  Just say something like "psh<file.ps" and la voila!

psview can display images.  The problem is that most of the programs
that send PostScript images use some pretty gross code that expects
the image data to be coming in on "currentfile".  Because psview reads
all the data into a temporary file so that it can page around it, the
object that "currentfile" returns is not what these programs expect.
If you put the data into an array psview will display it just fine.

	-Mark