[comp.sys.sgi] Power Series Arch Description Request

dret@DGP.TORONTO.EDU (George Drettakis) (09/07/89)

I am interested in getting my hands on a document that will describe
the Power Series parallel architecture.
I am particularily interested in getting information on how the cache is
organised both physically and from a software point of view, the cache
consistency alg., how the hardware locks are implemented
(the bus structure etc), how spin locks interact with the unix multi-programming
environment, how the scheduler handles the "light-weight" threads and how they
get assigned to processors and how the virtual address space is managed.
A solid, public domain document (paper/tech report/memo/whatever) would be
more than appreciated.
	Thanks,
--
George Drettakis (416) 978 5473        Dynamic Graphics Project
UUCP:   ..!uunet!dgp.toronto.edu!dret  Computer Systems Research Institute

mitch@rock.sgi.com (Thomas P. Mitchell) (09/08/89)

In article <89Sep6.182533edt.4956@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> dret@DGP.TORONTO.EDU (George Drettakis) writes:
>I am interested in getting my hands on a document that will describe
>the Power Series parallel architecture.

Here are some pointers:

1)   "UNIX Papers for UNIX Developers and Power Users" see:
Article 14 Multiprocessor UNIX by Tom Jermoluk (Tom is here
at SGI.) Edited by Mitchell Waite Howard W. Sams and
Company ISBN  0-672-22578-6

2)   Wagner, J.C., and Barton, J.M., "Threads in System V:
Letting UNIX parallel Process", a work-in-progress paper
presented in ;login:, USENIX Association, Vol. 12, No. 5,
September/October 1987.

3)   Beck, Bob, and Olien, Dave, "A Parallel Programming
Process model", in USENIX Conference Procedings, Winter,
1987.

4)   Barton, J.M., Wagner, J.C. "Beyond Threads: Resource
Sharing in UNIX," USENIX Procedings, 1987.

5)   Dijkstra, E.W. "Cooperating Sequential Processes,"
Technical Report EWD-123, Technological University,
Eindhoven, The Netherlands, 1965.

6)   Gerry Kane. "mips RISC Architecture"
Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.  ISBN 0-13-584293-X

Keys to understanding are:

There is one run queue.

Parallel regions in code are managed as seperate
processes.  All the rules of shared memory problems apply.
It is the responsibility of the programmer (in 'c') to
understand any data dependancies.   The pfa (Power FORTRAN
Accelerator) identifies regions at the do loop level which
may safely be run in parallel for the FORTRAN compiler. Yea
the programmer may know of other regions. Worse yet, he may
think he does.

The user may need to discover (profile) if the overhead of
spawning the sub-processes and resyncronizing is greater
than the work done in the loop.

Unix needs a good spelling checker (from vi).

Thomas P. Mitchell (ARPA:mitch@csd.sgi.com, UUCP:  {decwrl,ucbvax}!sgi!mitch )
Rainbows -- The best (well second best) reason for windows.

mitch@rock.sgi.com (Thomas P. Mitchell) (09/19/89)

In article <473@odin.SGI.COM> mitch@rock.sgi.com (Thomas P. Mitchell) writes:
>>I am interested in getting my hands on a document that will describe
>>the Power Series parallel architecture.
>
>Here are some pointers:

I forgot to mention that Jim Barton and Chris Wagner
are two key engineers in the design and implementation
of the SGI multi-processing solution.  Their papers
give much insight into their thoughts and the reasons
behind SGI's choices.