[comp.sys.sgi] Scanner for PI

fsfacca@LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (09/18/89)

 ** This is a repost from a few weeks ago **

> We are looking for a 300 DPI scanner, which can be connected to a Personal
> Iris.  Does anyone have experience with this?  It would be nice if the
> vendor supplied both the hardware and a software driver which would enable
> us to scan in color images, cut, paste, resize, them, etc.   If the format
> of the image file were compatible with SGI's image tools, so much the better.
>
> I'd appreciate any information, suggestions, etc.

I know I have seen scan digitizers attached to Iris's, and at least one vendor
at SIGGRAPH told me they had (will have) a driver for the Personal Iris's.

I am collecting information for a procurement sometime in October/November --
any ideas?

Thanks again,
Tony

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (09/20/89)

IRIX release 3.2 includes a driver for a Sharp FX-450 color scanner
which has a GPIB interface.  It also
drives a Ricoh IS11 grey-scale scanner which has a SCSI interface.  "man
scanner" for details.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl,sun}!sgi!msc

olson@anchor.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (09/21/89)

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) writes:
>IRIX release 3.2 includes a driver for a Sharp FX-450 color scanner
>which has a GPIB interface.  It also
>drives a Ricoh IS11 grey-scale scanner which has a SCSI interface.  "man
>scanner" for details.

Well, almost.  Due to a lack of time/resources to make it work
correctly, the IS11 support was removed at the last moment
before 3.2 shipped.  IS11 and a color Ricoh SCSI scanner will
be supported in a future release.  Unfortunately, the man
page didn't get updated to reflect this...
	Dave Olson

It's important to keep an open mind, but not so open
that your brains fall out. -- Stephen A. Kallis, Jr.