[comp.sys.sgi] limiting resources

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (Reinhard Doelz) (09/27/89)

There is nothing on IRIX which could be called reasonable management...

To be serious:

1) disk space of users might be limited by setting more than the default
   partitions, e.g., create new partitions and put each group of users on
   one of them. Once a device is full, there is no way to write on the device
   any longer. I did that , and esp. the /tmp device proved to be useful. Once
   /tmp is on the normal file system (/), it is easy to hang the entire system
   by calling vi on a 40 MByte ascii fie etc.

2) Memory allocation: There is the hint in USERS GUIDE pg. 10-10 that the
   MAXUMEM poarameter is tunable thus giving the user only a predefined memory
   page number which might be smaller than the available one. Sounds great but
   never worked in my hands (tried it at 3.1C last time). Maybe I'll try it on
   3.1G now. (also running a 120GTX).

3) CPU time consumption - no way to get a limitation on the smart way.
   I use a process prioritizer which sets processes running longer than a
   particular time on a non-ageing priority using the npri command in a
   crontabs file.

I'd *really* like to get information whether the tools needed are available in
3.2 such as

* disk quota
* CPU quota
* accounting which does work (and not just reports garbage).

(SGI do you hear me?)

- Reinhard

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (09/29/89)

Reinhard Doelz <doelz@urz.unibas.ch> writes:
> 1) disk space of users might be limited by setting more than the default
>    partitions, e.g., create new partitions and put each group of users on
>    one of them. Once a device is full, there is no way to write on the device
>    any longer. I did that , and esp. the /tmp device proved to be useful.
>    Once /tmp is on the normal file system (/), it is easy to hang the entire
>    system by calling vi on a 40 MByte ascii fie etc.

Well, we have /tmp on a separate partition (the root partition) with normally
about 8.5 MB of free space.  But the downside of this is that I can not vi
a one-megabyte ascii file!  The temp file would be about 9 MB, I think!

Does anyone know why vi creates such monster temp files?  Can't this be
fixed (by someone who has source)?

                                        \tom haapanen
"now, you didn't really expect          tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu
 my views to have anything to do        watmims research group
 with my employer's, did you?"          university of waterloo

fsfacca@LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (09/29/89)

Tom Haapanen <mailrus!jarvis.csri.toronto.edu!utgpu!watmath!maytag!vlsi!watale!tom@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>  writes:

> Well, we have /tmp on a separate partition (the root partition) with normally
> about 8.5 MB of free space.  But the downside of this is that I can not vi
> a one-megabyte ascii file!  The temp file would be about 9 MB, I think!
>
> Does anyone know why vi creates such monster temp files?  Can't this be
> fixed (by someone who has source)?

A workaround might be to set the environment variable EXINIT to change the
default directory (/tmp) which vi uses when it starts up.  I have plenty of
disk space available in a directory called /usr/tmp on a separate partition,
so if I enter the commend:

      setenv EXINIT  'set directory=/usr/tmp'

from the C Shell, I can once again "vi" large files.  This doesn't explain
WHY vi creates such large temp files, but it might help someone.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov

pwolfe@kailand.kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) (09/29/89)

> Written by tom@watale.UUCP
>
> Well, we have /tmp on a separate partition (the root partition) with normally
> about 8.5 MB of free space.

When setting up our systems (both System V and BSD), I replace /tmp with a
symbolic link to /usr/tmp, which has lots more free space than the root
partition does.  Many programs (both user and system alike) like to temporarily
store huge files in /tmp.

On the SGI systems, I also had to edit /etc/init.d/RMTMPFILES to change "mkdir
/tmp" with "ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp", or my change would be undone at the next
boot.  This does not cause any problems with normal operations (nothing uses
/tmp before /usr gets mounted).

--

        Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
        System Manager, Kuck & Associates, Inc.

rpaul@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Paul) (09/30/89)

> Well, we have /tmp on a separate partition (the root partition) with normally
> about 8.5 MB of free space.  But the downside of this is that I can not vi
> a one-megabyte ascii file!  The temp file would be about 9 MB, I think!
>
> Does anyone know why vi creates such monster temp files?  Can't this be
> fixed (by someone who has source)?

As someone from SGI pointed out at an earlier date put the following in
~/.exrc
	set directory=/usr/tmp

This will get around the problem unitl you receive 3.2.