[comp.sys.sgi] X Windows performance on PI

pwp@shamash.cdc.com ( HOUFAC) (09/29/89)

Does anyone know how the Turbo Graphics option affects X-windows performance
on a Personal IRIS? (For applications running locally -- not across a network.)

I've heard that IRIX 3.2 provides a big improvement, but I'm looking for
all I can get.

I'm already planning a 20MHz CPU upgrade -- any idea how much that'll help?
Is X CPU-bound or graphics-bound??

Thanks!  --Pete Poorman

rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca (Reid Ellis) (10/02/89)

pwp@shamash.UUCP (Pete Poorman - HOUFAC) writes:
|Does anyone know how the Turbo Graphics option affects X-windows performance
|on a Personal IRIS? (For applications running locally -- not across a network.)
|
|I've heard that IRIX 3.2 provides a big improvement, but I'm looking for
|all I can get.

Something that was recently pointed out to me was that you can improve the
performance of X applications on Iris consoles by setting your DISPLAY to be
"unix:0" rather than "localhost:0".  Apparently, the latter causes some
interaction with network daemons, whereas the former goes straight to work,
so to speak.
					Reid
---
Reid Ellis, 264 Broadway Avenue, Toronto ON, M4P 1V9, Canada
rae%alias@csri.utoronto.ca, rae@geac.uucp, rae@ziebmef.uucp,
rae@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca, rae@tnir.uucp      +1 416 487 1383

bennett@galois.esd.sgi.com (Jim Bennett) (10/04/89)

In article <14134@shamash.cdc.com>, pwp@shamash.cdc.com ( HOUFAC) writes:
> Does anyone know how the Turbo Graphics option affects X-windows performance
> on a Personal IRIS? (For applications running locally -- not across a network.)
>
> I'm already planning a 20MHz CPU upgrade -- any idea how much that'll help?
> Is X CPU-bound or graphics-bound??
>
> Thanks!  --Pete Poorman

I haven't benchmarked this, so I can't give you a precise answer.  In
general, the CPU speedup will give you the greatest boost in performance.

The Turbo graphics upgrade will help out applications that are drawing lots
of lines or small polygons.  Large polygons are slightly improved.

Jim Bennett   (bennett@esd.sgi.com)

zombie@voodoo.UUCP (Mike York) (10/04/89)

In article <42473@sgi.sgi.com> bennett@galois.esd.sgi.com (Jim Bennett) writes:
>The Turbo graphics upgrade will help out applications that are drawing lots
>of lines or small polygons.  Large polygons are slightly improved.

How about picking?  The reason I ask is we were planning on getting the
GT upgrade for our 4D/70's, but discovered that picking was
significantly slower with the GT upgrade (6 times slower with 3.0,
2 times slower with 3.1 -- we have 3.2 but have not ran our benchmarks yet).

Now we have lots of 4D/20's that our users want to upgrade.  Will the
turbo upgrade slow picking down?

--
Mike York
Boeing Computer Services, Renton, Washington

vimal@forum.esd.sgi.com (Vimal Parikh) (10/06/89)

In article <594@voodoo.UUCP>, zombie@voodoo.UUCP (Mike York) writes:
> How about picking?  The reason I ask is we were planning on getting the
> GT upgrade for our 4D/70's, but discovered that picking was
> significantly slower with the GT upgrade (6 times slower with 3.0,
> 2 times slower with 3.1 -- we have 3.2 but have not ran our benchmarks yet).
>
> Now we have lots of 4D/20's that our users want to upgrade.  Will the
> turbo upgrade slow picking down?

	Picking operation on Turbo PI is slightly faster than on non-turbo PI.
You probably won't notice a significant increase but it will NOT be slower.

 Vimal Parikh
 MTS, Entry Systems Division.
 Silicon Graphics Inc.
 Mt. View, CA.