[comp.sys.sgi] Preventing remote graphics use

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (10/24/89)

     A while back I asked the following question, but didn't get any
responce.  Is is possible to let a remote user on and allow them to do
anything BUT graphics?  Someone asked me about this, I told them I didn't
think there was a way, but I would post a message just incase there is.
     They want others to be able to get on and compile any program and
run non-graphics programs.  They want only the console to be able to run
a graphics program.  Thanks.
--

					Brent

elkins@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Elkins) (10/25/89)

Idea: whenever a person logs in thru the console, just
	chmod go-w /dev/console
and then only the current console login can write to
that device.  Would this work?

George Elkins

ted@bangles.sgi.com (Ted Wilcox) (10/26/89)

In article <Oct.24.20.19.40.1989.26786@topaz.rutgers.edu> elkins@topaz.rutgers.edu (George Elkins) writes:
>Idea: whenever a person logs in thru the console, just
>	chmod go-w /dev/console
>and then only the current console login can write to
>that device.  Would this work?

Nope.  This would only prevent anyone else from sending text to the
console wsh window on the screen.  Everyone would still have access to any
graphics program.

Ted.
ted@sgi.com
{sun|decwrl|pyramid|ucbvax}!sgi!ted

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (10/26/89)

   I thought that was the case.  I didn't think using chmod on /dev/console
would work, but I wasn't sure.  Is there a solution?  There dosen't appear
to be one.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center