[comp.sys.sgi] 4Sight configuration

butler@BRL.MIL ("Lee A. Butler", VLD/VMB) (10/24/89)

I'v just about managed to do away with the toolchests and the WorkSpace from
my 4Sight display (I like all my window ops on a pop-up menu).  One thing I
can't seem to do is get Icons to automatically go to the corners of the
display.  4Sight seems to have a wired in allowance of space on the left for
toolchests, and space on the right for the "WorkSpace" window.  Has anyone
gotten around this without modifying the system files?  I readily admit to
being a neophyte at writing PostScript, so I may be missing something obvious.

On a related note, does anyone have any recommendations for books or
documentation on "Introductory NeWS/4Sight?"  I've got the books from Adobe,
but NeWS seems to be both more and less than the PostScript in those books.
The SGI manuals seem to deal mostly with programatic interfaces to 4Sight.

Lee A. Butler
SLCBR-VL-V					Internet: butler@brl.mil
Ballistic Research Laboratory			   Phone: (301) 278-8740
Aberdeen Proving Grounds, MD 21005-5066

fsfacca@LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (10/24/89)

Have you taken a look at the 4Dgifts directory?  You have to install it
manually from tape, but it has some good sample startup files.
Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (10/26/89)

In article <8910231741.aa10720@VMB.BRL.MIL>, butler@BRL.MIL ("Lee A.
Butler", VLD/VMB) writes:
> I'v just about managed to do away with the toolchests and the WorkSpace from
> my 4Sight display (I like all my window ops on a pop-up menu).  One thing I
> can't seem to do is get Icons to automatically go to the corners of the
> display.  4Sight seems to have a wired in allowance of space on the left for
> toolchests, and space on the right for the "WorkSpace" window.  Has anyone
> gotten around this without modifying the system files?  I readily admit to
> being a neophyte at writing PostScript, so I may be missing something
obvious.

Put something like the following in your user.ps file.
%
% Personalize the icon layout
%
% Left   Bottom	Width	Height
    0	0	WORKSPACE-LEFT	RGB-TOP
/newarea IconTiler send

This makes an icon area from the left hand edge over to where the
default workspace
window starts.  The area is the full height of the screen.

I also add the following so my icons go down the screen instead of across:
/upperleft /corner IconTiler send
/vertical /direction IconTiler send

> On a related note, does anyone have any recommendations for books or
> documentation on "Introductory NeWS/4Sight?"  I've got the books from Adobe,
> but NeWS seems to be both more and less than the PostScript in those books.
> The SGI manuals seem to deal mostly with programatic interfaces to 4Sight.
Try "The NeWS Book" by Arden, Gosling and Rosenthal published by
Springer-Verlag.
It gives a good introduction and a description of the PostScript
extensions that
goes beyond that in the 4Sight (and NeWS) manuals.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

butler@BRL.MIL ("Lee A. Butler", VLD/VMB) (10/27/89)

Many thanks to all who responded to my request.  I have located the 4Dgifts
directory, and it has the examples and explanations I was looking for.  Thanks
also to those who suggested I get a copy of "The NeWS Book" by Arden, Gosling
and Rosenthal.