[comp.sys.sgi] logging on

trohling@uceng.UC.EDU (tom rohling) (11/14/89)

     Does anyone (SGI - are you listening??) have any idea why it takes so
long (4 - 5 seconds!) for our 4D to realize that you have incorrectly
entered your login name or password?  At first I figured it was just the
way things are, and what can you about it.  Then when we were upped to OS
version 3.1415..... I thought it may be fixed, nope.  Well maybe after it
became a 120GTX running 3.1D, nope.
     It's not like we have an excessive passwd file, there are only eight
(that's 8) accounts on the machine and when you add in the system accounts
it comes to a grand total of about 15 lines in /etc/passwd.  All the other
UNIX based machines recognize almost instantly that you've goofed so what
gives?
     What could it possibly be doing for this amount of time???????
     On days when the ole' brain is not at 100% and it takes a few iterations
to login, it becomes a tad annoying when those few iterations take about 20
to 30 seconds (which seem alot longer) just to login.
     We have not (*yet*) recieved 3.2 but I know the checks in the mail, so
I still have hope.

     A good explanation of this would be appreciated.

				Much obliged,

				Tom Rohling
				University of Cincinnati

If you've built something from the inside out, then you should have no
trouble penetrating from the outside in.
					- Love & Rockets tune

paulm@kestrel.sgi.com (Paul Mielke) (11/15/89)

In article <2830@uceng.UC.EDU>, trohling@uceng.UC.EDU (tom rohling) writes:

>      Does anyone (SGI - are you listening??) have any idea why it takes so
> long (4 - 5 seconds!) for our 4D to realize that you have incorrectly
> entered your login name or password?  At first I figured it was just the
> way things are, and what can you about it.  Then when we were upped to OS
> version 3.1415..... I thought it may be fixed, nope.  Well maybe after it
> became a 120GTX running 3.1D, nope.

... stuff omitted ...

>      A good explanation of this would be appreciated.
>
> 				Much obliged,
>
> 				Tom Rohling
> 				University of Cincinnati

This is a feature, not a bug.  The login program does a sleep(4) after each
invalid login attempt.  The idea is to make it harder to break into a system
with a program that attempts to guess passwords.  Sorry to disappoint you,
but it still works that way in 3.2.

Regards,

Paul Mielke                  paulm@sgi.com
Advanced Systems Division    (415) 962-3447
Silicon Graphics, Inc.