[comp.sys.sgi] Stereo questions

LES@SLACVM.BITNET (Len Sweeney) (11/15/89)

We are considering a sterio system, but still have a couple of misgivings.

   Is the multisinc Mitsubishi monitor they use for stereo as good as the
   standard monitor for normal (non-stereo) viewing?

   Is the CrystalEyes visor rugged enough to survive in a moderately
   chaotic environment?  Can it survive being dropped, or thoughtless
   cleaning techniques?

I'd appreciate anyone willing to share their experience in these areas.

   Len Sweeney
   LES@SLACVM.BITNET
   les@citsgi.SLAC.Stanford.EDU

thant@horus.esd.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) (11/16/89)

In article <8911141920.aa18316@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, LES@SLACVM.BITNET (Len Sweeney) writes:

> We are considering a sterio system, but still have a couple of misgivings.
>
>    Is the multisinc Mitsubishi monitor they use for stereo as good as the
>    standard monitor for normal (non-stereo) viewing?

The Mitsubishi is much nicer that the standard Hitatchi monitor.

>    Is the CrystalEyes visor rugged enough to survive in a moderately
>    chaotic environment?  Can it survive being dropped, or thoughtless
>    cleaning techniques?

I don't know about cleaning solvents, but the things are pretty rugged,
including (to some degree) water proof.

thant

P.S.  I don't speak officially for SGI.

--
There are 336 dimples on the standard golf ball.

lmeyer@well.UUCP (lhary meyer) (11/17/89)

To answer your questions...

1. The Mitsubishi  monitor used for stereo is BETTER then the standard
monitor! It's brighter, converges better, and sharper! You'll like it.

2. StereoView (CrystalEyes) glasses are moderately rugged. Obviously
they have glass lenses, which can be cracked. The rest of the unit is
quite strong and unlikely to be damaged in any lab environment.
  We are coming up with a fixed price lens replacement cost, and do it
in one day.
               .....Lhary Meyer, StereoGraphics