[comp.sys.sgi] two surprises on upgrading to IRIX 3.2

mcqueen@acf4.NYU.EDU (David M. McQueen) (11/16/89)

We have recently upgraded to IRIX 3.2 and I notice (so far) two peculiarities:

     (1) It seems to be impossible to force a stowed window to stay at
         a location other than the original stowed location. Even after
         dragging the icon to a new position, upon reopening and restowing,
         the icon goes back to the location it had when first stowed.
         Does anyone know how to make a positioned-by-hand icon stay at that
         position through subsequent reopenings? If the solution involves
         modifying some postscript file, please do not be too terse; I still
         find postscript to be somewhat obscure.

     (2) We have several programs which employ the textport to input data
         to a graphics program to alter the image. They all tucked the
         textport (a window about 40 characters wide by 3 lines high)
         unobtrusively into the lower left hand corner of the screen, an area
         into which our image never went. After recompiling and relinking
         PREVIOUSLY WORKING CODE, I find the textport window is now a very
         obtrusive 80 characters wide by 7 lines high centered at the bottom
         of my image area. Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so,
         have you figured out a remedy?

Dave McQueen

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (11/16/89)

     (1) Gee that is annoying.  SUN windows works the way you would
         like it to work, as you were hoping the SGI windows would
         work.  If you put a window and its icon in specific places
         you would think that they would return to those places.
         I guess SGI has some catching up to do.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

mcqueen@acf4.NYU.EDU (David M. McQueen) (11/16/89)

I received several FAST responses from personnel at SGI (thank you Brendan,
Michael, Scott) on my IRIX 3.2 surprise #1. In case there is interest in
this out there, look in /usr/people/4Dgifts/.4sight for interesting
(and understandable) examples of how to make the desktop look and act the
way you want it to.

Thanks again,

Dave McQueen

thant@horus.esd.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) (11/17/89)

In article <8911160157.AA24392@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") writes:

>      (1) Gee that is annoying.  SUN windows works the way you would
>          like it to work, as you were hoping the SGI windows would
>          work.  If you put a window and its icon in specific places
>          you would think that they would return to those places.
>          I guess SGI has some catching up to do.

I was waiting for someone else to respond to the original posting.  I
wasn't expecting Brent L. Bates to do it first.

First, copy from /usr/NeWS/lib/user.ps to user.ps in your own
home directory.

Next, look for the three lines in your copy of user.ps that look like:

%% whether icons are automaticly tidied up is controled by TidyState
% UserProfile /TidyState /Always put            % default state
% UserProfile /TidyState /Never put             % pre- 4D3.2 release behavior

Change them to make it look like:

%% whether icons are automaticly tidied up is controled by TidyState
% UserProfile /TidyState /Always put            % default state
UserProfile /TidyState /Never put             % pre- 4D3.2 release behavior

There are other goodies in there to change as well if you like.

thant

--
There are 336 dimples on the standard golf ball.

mtoy@sgi.com (Michael Toy) (11/17/89)

In article <17280027@acf4.NYU.EDU>, mcqueen@acf4.NYU.EDU (David M.
McQueen) writes:

> We have recently upgraded to IRIX 3.2 and I notice (so far) two
peculiarities:

>      (1) It seems to be impossible to force a stowed window to stay at
>          a location other than the original stowed location.
> Dave McQueen

I thought I had posted a reply to this, but it seems to have been
dropped.  I'll post again and apologize in advance for the double
posting in case both get through.

Point #1, icons stack themselves in neat little rows when you stow
windows.  This new feature (or mis-feature, depending on your
expectations) is described in the release notes (relnotes -p eoe1 -c 5)
and in the 4sight Programmer's Guide, in the default "user.ps" file
in /usr/NeWS/lib and in the example customization
log in account "4Dgifts".

Or, if you don't care to learn about  any new features, you can tell 4sight to
have the pre 3.2 behavior by adding the line
	UserProfile /TidyState /Never put
to the file "user.ps" in your home directory.

Michael Toy

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (11/17/89)

   Good, quick, precise responce. Good job.  I am sorry for under
estimating SGI's windows.

(How many SGI heart attack's did this note cause. :-) )