[comp.sys.sgi] Difference between 4D120GTX and 4D220

ccsupos@prism.gatech.EDU (SCHREIBER, O. A.) (11/18/89)

What difference is there between
4D120GTX (what we have here, Power Series)
and 4D220 (Power Series?). I could call an sgi rep during the week
but I need the information before Monday.

Thanks for the info.

Olivier Schreiber (404)894 6147, Office of Computing Services
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ccsupos
ARPA: ccsupos@prism.gatech.edu

--

jmb@patton.sgi.com (Jim Barton) (11/20/89)

In article <3590@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ccsupos@prism.gatech.EDU (SCHREIBER, O. A.) writes:

> What difference is there between
> 4D120GTX (what we have here, Power Series)
> and 4D220 (Power Series?). I could call an sgi rep during the week
> but I need the information before Monday.

A POWERSeries machine with the 'GTX' suffix indicates a box with the graphics
subsystem.  There are actually two flavors of this, the 'GTX' and the 'GTXB'.
The 'GTXB' comes without the alpha planes to reduce cost (this >doesn't<
mean that you can't do alpha blending, it means you can't store alpha
values with each pixel).  If you don't know what the alpha planes are used
for, you probably don't need them.

The 4D/120 machine uses 2 R2000/R2010 processors running at 16.667MHz.
Rated performance is 20 Drhystone MIPS, 2 DP Linpack MFLOPS.  For many
applications, this is an excellent machine.

The 4D/220 machine uses 2 R3000/R3010 processors running at 25Mhz.
Rated performance is 40 Dhrystone MIPS, 8 DP Linpack MFLOPS.  Performance is
stunning.

All POWERSeries machines have the same graphics performance with the GTX
option (i.e., performance is graphics subsystem limited, not CPU limited).

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computer Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb@sgi.com, sgi!jmb@decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb