[comp.sys.sgi] Limit on windows?

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (11/20/89)

Is there a limit on the number of windows that can be opened using winopen()?

Is about 100 windows okay?

We are running a Personal Iris with 8 Megs of memory, is the number of
windows memory dependent?
--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu - Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
		IF YOU CARE ENOUGH TO READ SIGNATURES ...

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (11/22/89)

In article <21259@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo
Fernicola) writes:
> Is there a limit on the number of windows that can be opened using winopen()?
>
> Is about 100 windows okay?
Should be fine except for performance issues.

> We are running a Personal Iris with 8 Megs of memory, is the number of
> windows memory dependent?
Yes.  You can have as many windows as you can fit into your virtual memory.
However performance will fall off as you start swapping.  Some previous
IRIX release for certain machines had bugs where more than 256
windows would break.  I believe these are fixed in 3.2.

--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc