[comp.sys.sgi] Transfer Personal IRIS images to VCR

gklaass@yunexus.UUCP (Gary Klaassen) (11/11/89)

We are considering getting a Personal Iris to do 3D colour graphics.
We would like to transfer the images, frame by frame if necessary, to
NTSC video (VHS and super VHS) for animation.

We have been told that SGI sells a board that will do this, but it
takes up the VME slot, which means if you want a tape drive, it has
to be external.  Does anyone know of any alternatives such as using
RGB output? If that is possible, what extra hardware is required?
Is a genlock feature required?

				Thanks in advance, G. Klaassen

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (11/13/89)

    There are several companies out there that sell devices that connect to
the RGB output of your computer and then connect to your video tape recorder.
However, all the ones I have seen record "live" that is what every is drawn
on the screen however fast or slow that is that is the way it gets recorded.
    That is what I have heard about, if there is anything else out there I
would like to know about it.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

GJACKSON@TACOM-EMH2.ARMY.MIL (11/14/89)

     The recording of graphics from the Iris to a VCR involves
several pieces of equipment.  If you are interested in creating
animations by recording the graphics frame by frame and then
playing back in real time, here is what you will need:
     a)  A color encoder or an RGB scan converter.  The color
encoder combines a ntsc compatible RGB signals (640 X 483 pixels,
30Hz interlaced) into a single ntsc output signal.  This hardware
will work fine if you are able to change the high resolution (1280
X 1024 pixels, 60Hz non-interlaced) RGB monitor outputs to the ntsc
compatible RGB via software control.  A reasonably good color
encoder costs about $2000.  If you cannot change the RGB outputs
or absolutely require the higher resolution, you are forced to get
a real-time digital scan converter.  This device runs about $18000.
Either device gives you a recordable ntsc output
signal.
     b)  The second device you will need is a frame by frame
animation controller.  These typically costs about $6000.  This
piece requires the use of an RS232 port from the computer.  On cue
from the computer, the controller controls the editing functions
of the VCR to insert a single frame onto the video tape.
     c)  The next thing you need is a VCR that is compatible to the
controller in item b).  These are not your typical "home" models.
They have to be editing decks.  The low end of the capable 3/4 inch
systems costs about $6000.
     d)  You asked about the need for a Genlock.  It depends on the
quality of video you expect.  You could get away without one for
awhile and still get reasonable animations (not broadcast quality).
The best general solution for this is to get a black burst
generator.
     I give these as just one solution for a possible animation
station configuration.  The right solution for you really depends
on your exact needs in this technology.
     There is a corporation now forming that is going into the
business of scientific and engineering visualization.  Part of
their business plan includes providing others the service of
setting up animation stations like the one I just described (there
seems to be only a handful of experienced people able to provide
this).  The corporation is to be called Visual Computing Group.
Today its services can be obtained via James Banister of Animated
Technologies Incorporated, phone (213)675-0770.  Tell him Gerry
told you to call.
     Hope this was helpful ... Gerry
Gerald Jackson                *  If you know exactly what it is
US Army TACOM                 *  you are doing, how much it costs
Attn: AMSTA-RYA               *  and when it will be done, then
Warren, MI  48397-5000        *  you really can't call it
ph. (313)574-5032             *  research, can you ?!?

ted@bangles.sgi.com (Ted Wilcox) (11/15/89)

In article <5025@yunexus.UUCP>, gklaass@yunexus.UUCP (Gary Klaassen) writes:

> We are considering getting a Personal Iris to do 3D colour graphics.
> We would like to transfer the images, frame by frame if necessary, to
> NTSC video (VHS and super VHS) for animation.
>
> We have been told that SGI sells a board that will do this, but it
> takes up the VME slot, which means if you want a tape drive, it has
> to be external.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this yet.  The internal tape drives for
the Personal Iris are SCSI devices, so they don't need the VME slot.
So, you can have your tape drive and your genlock too.

> 				Thanks in advance, G. Klaassen

Ted.
ted@sgi.com
{sun|decwrl|pyramid|ucbvax}!sgi!ted

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (11/18/89)

In article <8911131633.AA13927@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>,
blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") writes:

>     There are several companies out there that sell devices that connect to
> the RGB output of your computer and then connect to your video tape recorder.
> However, all the ones I have seen record "live" that is what every is drawn
> on the screen however fast or slow that is that is the way it gets recorded.
>     That is what I have heard about, if there is anything else out there I
> would like to know about it.

You don't need any other type of converter.  You need an animation controller
and a single frame VTR.  Display the frame, record it, and move to the
next one.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

ams@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Andrew Simms) (11/19/89)

Mark Callow writes...
>	You don't need any other type of converter.  You need an animation controller
>	and a single frame VTR.  Display the frame, record it, and move to the
>	next one.
>	--
>	From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
>	msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

And my response is:  WAIT WAIT WAIT not necessarily.

There has been a bit of traffic lately about animation and so forth on the
net and most of it hasn't given the big picture on making animations.
I get the feeling that a lot of people interested in making animations have
hit the same walls I did in trying to put together a system that works:

1.  Lots of products not marketed specifically at the sci-vi interest group
2.  Lots of sleazy video salespeople who have no idea why anyone would
	buy a 100k+ plus machine that doesn't run lotus but are more than
	happy to sell you something.

So, in a long nutshell, here is the big picture:

There are two major arenas in the animation field:  frame by frame and
realtime.  Frame by frame utilizes a device called an animation controller.
This box controls a high priced VTR called an editing deck.  It can cause
the VTR to record extremely short segments of video onto a tape.  The
net result is a film in the tradition stop action photography.  It can
produce beautiful results.

The second arena is called real time.  Here you record images from your
iris to a VTR as they are displayed.  This type of animation is excellent
for demonstrations and animations that are slow enough for your SGI to
display in real time.  This type of animation doesn't require an editing
deck, but the better deck you buy the better results you will get.

HARDWARE NEEDED.
What you need depends on what you want to do.  There are a couple inheirant
problems with animation and you must choose the right hardware to solve
the problems.  These are the problems:

1.  The Iris has a high resolution monitor/display.  Video decs are low
	resolution devices.  In order to display your Iris screen on
	standard TV format device, you need to:
	A.  Reduce the resolution of the iris image to NTSC (TV), SuperVHS
		(a newer higher resolution standard), or another format
		suitable for your VTR.  This process requires a scan
		converter (Lyon Lamb makes an expensive one, we ended up
		buying an RGB Technologies box).
	B.  Cut a small window out of your iris screen and transmit it to
		your VTR.  SGI (and other companies) makes a simple card
		called a genlock option that does this.  When this board is
		on the RGB lines going to monitor change from their normal
		high-res signal to RS-170, a low resolution RGB signal.
		I believe (but since I am at home and can't look, that
		a composite signal is provided as well).

2.  Are the movies you wish to make slow enough that your Iris can display
	the results in real time?  If not, you will need to go frame by
	frame.  For this, you need an animation controller.  There are
	several types.
	A.  Lyon Lamb and others make a NTSC/SuperVHS level animation
		controllers.  These are meant to use low resolution
		images and as such you run into problem 1.  Some animation
		controllers will only accept a composite signal.  Therefore
		if you have solved problem 1 such that you only have RS170
		you may need an additional device called an encoder which
		will take the RGB signal and create a composite signal
		suitable for the majority of animation controllers.

		This class of controllers work in the following fashion.
		You feed the controller an appropriate video signal.
		The lyon lamb is controlled by your iris via an RS232 cable
		and it uses software you get to write yourself or purchase.
		When your frame is ready, you issue  a record command.
		Then you prepare the next frame, record, prepare, record...
		until it is done.

	B.  Abacus and others make a different type of controller.
		This device sits on your ethernet and has a 1.2 Gigabyte
		disk on it.  You write software that FTPs your image
		to the Abacus.  It stores sequential frames on disk, and
		then it will write them out to a VCR.  I believe that
		the transfer is accomplished by constructing a frame
		on the Abacus's internal frame buffer then it issues a
		record command to your VTR while displaying the image.
		This is an expensive device.  You do not need a scan converter
		for this option but you will need an editing deck.
		Perhaps someone can comment as to whether or not Abacus
		will provide a deck.  It should also be noted that this
		device cannot do real time recording.

	C.  SGI's new product.  SGI now has a card that is an animation
		controller.  It may only work on a Power Series (SGI
		please confirm) and promises to be a nifty product for
		those who will only be using an SGI to make movies.
		It may also be capable of displaying video images on
		your high-res display while you work (so you can watch CNN
		while you work like all the cia folks).  I believe it
		can do both frame by frame and realtime animation.

SOFTWARE

We are writing our own for the stuff we bought, so I don't have much
info.  It would make this message far more useful if someone would comment on
what's available.

WHAT I BOUGHT

The group here needs to do both frame by frame and realtime animations.
We also decided we needed better than NTSC resolution so we went with
supervhs.  So, we got a Panasonic AG7500A 1/2" VTR, an RGB Technologies
Scan converter, a Sony 1342 s-vhs monitor and we upgraded our Lyon Lamb
Mini-vas to the SuperVHS edition.  Our realtime results have been
excellent. When we have our minivas back from upgrade, I will know about
frame by frame quality.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Insist on on-site demonstrations and/or have your dealer leave stuff
with you for evalutation.  Otherwise you will end up with a pile of
stuff you can't even pay graduate students to use.  As far as sources
for this stuff, I will prepare a list and post it or mail it to those
who are interested.

  Andrew Simms					ams@acm.princeton.edu
  System Administrator
  Program in Applied and Computational Math
  Princeton University
  Princeton, NJ   08544
  609/258-5324 or 609/258-6227
  609/258-1054 (fax)

gavin@krypton.sgi.com (Gavin A. Bell) (11/20/89)

If there is enough interest, I am willing to type in and post the
marketing hype and specs for SGI's newest video product, which is
designed specifically for both real-time and frame-by-frame recording
on all 4D products (it comes as both an add-in board, or a separate
box; the board works only in GTX-type machines).

I hesitate to go ahead and post they hype for two reasons: first, I
don't want to bother spending half an hour being a stenographer if
there is little interest, and I don't want to offend anybody by
posting something very commercial.

--gavin

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (unknown) (11/20/89)

ams@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Andrew Simms) writes:

	B.  Abacus and others make a different type of controller.
	This device sits on your ethernet and has a 1.2 Gigabyte
	disk on it.  You write software that FTPs your image
	to the Abacus.  It stores sequential frames on disk, and
	then it will write them out to a VCR. [ ...]
	It should also be noted that this device cannot do
	real time recording.

Not completely true.  I've used an Abekas (note the non-Webster
spelling) machine that took NTSC video input, digitized and stored it
on its big mama disk.  It handled both realtime and frame by frame
animation.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			P.O. Box 10494
Stanford University				Stanford, CA 94309
(jim@thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-4940

andrew@alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) (11/20/89)

in general, i agree with simms's comments.

we do animation via a recorder (1" SONY BVH2500) that can record a frame at a time.
(it is expensive..... ~$80K). there is a well defined
if inconvenient (38.4KB RS422) remote control interface.
regrettably, our 4D240 cannot generate 38.4KB (i mean kilobaud here) reliably.
this deck gives fabulous video; its what the networks use.

rpaul@dasys1.UUCP (Rod Paul) (11/20/89)

Here's one person interested in hearing more about SGI's new video product...

gavin@krypton.sgi.com (Gavin A. Bell) (11/21/89)

gklaass@yunexus.UUCP (Gary Klaassen) writes:
>We are considering getting a Personal Iris to do 3D colour graphics.
>We would like to transfer the images, frame by frame if necessary, to
>NTSC video (VHS and super VHS) for animation.

Since several people have mailed me asking for information on
the new VideoCreator product, I've decided to post the information.
This information was sent out to the SGI sales force as a sales guide.
Note that this product was only recently announced; it is expected to
be available in quantity starting in March 1990.

-----------------------------

On October 30th, at AutoFact, Silicon Graphics announced a new video
interface product for the IRIS 4D workstation family called
VideoCreator.  VideoCreator is the second member of the 4Deo family of
video interface solutions.  The first product, the Live Video
Digitizer, works with the POWER Series and lets users integrate live
video images with real-time 3-D graphics on the same workstation.

DESCRIPTION

VideoCreator provides a complete, integrated video output solution
which allows users to record computer-generated images from their IRIS
4D workstations directly onto standard video tape and disk recorders.
The product consists of a VME board that plugs directly into
Professional and POWER Series systems.  For additional flexibility,
the board can reside in a stand-alone box which connects to any of the
workstations, including the Personal IRIS.

Product features include real-time scan conversion, which allows the
user to record onto video tape any image that appears on their
high-resolution screen.  In addition, VideoCreator allows applictions
to record individual frames of computer-generated imagery
sequentially, a key step in the process of creating computer
animation.  Unlike the Genlock option, this function can be performed
in the "background" allowing the workstation to be used for other
tasks while recording is taking place.

SCAN CONVERSION

Scan conversion is a commonly used term for taking a high resolution
video signal (like the one used to drive IRIS workstation monitors)
and lowering the resolution to be compatible with standard television
equipment and recorders.  Scan converters have been available from
third parties like Lyon Lamb, Folsom Research, and RGB technologies
for prices ranging from $13,000 to $26,000.

VideoCreator's integrated scan converter allows images appearing on
the workstation's high resolution screen to be recorded onto video
tape in real-time.  Scan conversion provides the simplest way to
record computer generated images onto video tape.  Since no special
software is needed, it is the ideal solution for engineers and
scientists who want to capture on video tape an interactive session
with general purpose software.  In addition, scan conversion provides
anti-aliasing effects which can smooth lines and edges beyond what
mighe be achievable by rendering images directly (frame-by-frame) to
television resolution.

FRAME-BY-FRAME

Frame-by-frame recording is the method traditionally employed to
produce computer generated animation.  VideoCreator's television
resolution VME frame buffer allows application software to render and
output images without affecting the workstation's display.  This means
users can monitor the frame-by-frame recording process while running
other applications on the workstation at the same time.

VideoCreatorR CONTROL

Most computer animation interfaces require the user to purchase an
additional piece of equipment called a "VCR controller".  The VCR
controller allows the workstation to send commands to the VCR directly
so that recording does not require the presence of an operator.  Such
equipment costs from $3,000 to $4,000.

A unique feature of VideoCreator is Videomedia's V-LAN VCR control
interface.  The V-LAN system consists of a transmitter (that resides
on the VideoCreator board) and a receiver connected togehter via a
proprietary LAN (coax) interface.  A customer wishing to use the V-LAN
interface must purchase separately a receiver specifically matched to
the VCR they will be using.

Applications software can send VCR control commands directly to
VideoCreator.  VideoCreator's V-LAN transmitter sends those commands
to the receiver via the coax interface.  The receiver then converts
those commands into ones understood by the specific VCR being
controlled.  In this way application software can have full control
over the VCR, eliminating any need for operator intervention while
doing frame-by-frame recording.

CONFIGURATIONS

VideoCreator is available for all Silicon Graphics workstations,
including the Personal IRIS, Professional and POWER series.  The
product consists of a 9U VME board that plugs directly into the
Professional and POWER series systems.  For additional flexibility the
board can reside in a stand-alone box which connects to any of the
workstations.

PRICING
Description                    Price

VideoCreator NTSC video        $9,950
output, 9U VME board

VideoCreator NTSC video        $12,000
output, external box
(required for Personal IRIS)

NOTE:  A V-LAN receiver must be purchased separately in order to use
the VCR controller interface.  The receiver should be purchased from
the customer's local video dealer (where they purchased the VCR) or
from Videomedia directly.  Prices run from $1,000 to $1,650 depending
on the type of VCR used.

FEATURES                       BENEFITS

Real-time scan conversion      "What you see is what you get"
                               video recording, application S/W
                               independent

Frame-by-frame recording       Can be done in "background"
                               without tying up workstations display

Videomedia's V-LAN VCR         Lower cost, complete integrated
controller                     solution from one vendor

Genlockable output             Eliminates need for separate
                               genlock board

True RS-170 or EURO RGB        Ability to connect to broadcast
video output                   quality color encoders and
                               produce a broadcast quality signal

24 bit true color output       Maximize color quality of recording

Support for RGB, composite     Flexible output formats
NTSC and S-VHS or PAL video
output

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

Does VideoCreator produce broadcast quality video signals?

   No it does not.  The composite NTSC and S-VHS signals are
   "industrial quality".  They are acceptable for recording directly
   to high-end consumer and low-end professional video recorders.  For
   broadcast quality the user is encouraged to use a broadcast quality
   color encoder along with VideoCreator.

Why is VideoCreator so expensive?

   Much of the expense associated with VideoCreator is for the
   integrated scan conversion feature, that makes video recording easy
   and simple for unsophisticated video users.  Third party scan
   converters cost form $13,000 to $26,000.  Therefore, VideoCreator
   provides scan conversion, "background" frame-by-frame recording,
   and deck control all for less than what you pay for many scan
   converters on the market today.

When can I get one?

    VideoCreator should be shipping in quantity in March 1990.

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (11/21/89)

In article <11628@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, ams@gauss.Princeton.EDU
(Andrew Simms) writes:
> Mark Callow writes...
> >	You don't need any other type of converter.  You need an animation
controller
> >	and a single frame VTR.  Display the frame, record it, and move to the
> >	next one.
> >	--
> >	From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
> >	msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
>
> And my response is:  WAIT WAIT WAIT not necessarily.

Thanks for your informative response.  I was trying to say only that
the same RGB to NTSC box should do regardless of whether you wanted
to record real time or single frame.  Obviously I wasn't clear enough.

	-Mark

baskett%forest@SGI.COM (11/22/89)

There are also some moderately priced video disk gadgets that can
easily record frame by frame.  We have one made by Panasonic, it was
about $15K, can record about 15 minutes worth of video, but the blank
disks cost about $100 each.

Forest

spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) (11/22/89)

In article <JIM.89Nov19115902@baroque.Stanford.EDU> jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (unknown) writes:

>ams@gauss.Princeton.EDU (Andrew Simms) writes:
>
>	B.  Abacus and others make a different type of controller.
>	This device sits on your ethernet and has a 1.2 Gigabyte
>	disk on it.  You write software that FTPs your image
>	to the Abacus.   ...
>
>Not completely true.  I've used an Abekas (note the non-Webster
>spelling) machine that took NTSC video input, digitized and stored it
>on its big mama disk.  It handled both realtime and frame by frame
>animation.

Actually, I think you're both right.  There are several flavors of Abekas.
The A60 is a digital disk with no NSTC input (that I know of, but I haven't
completely figured the little bugger out yet).  It does indeed look like a
file system to your favorite file transfer protocol.  The A64 and other
versions are NTSC digitizers and twiddlers.  The A60 comes in 25 and 50 second
versions (I've heard rumors of 100 second versions, too, but they must be
hellaciously expensive).  The A64 will store 30 or 60 seconds (I believe) of
captured video.

If you're looking for a digital frame store that lives on the Ethernet, then
the A60 is the beast that you want.

							spl (the p stands for
							pixels at an
							exhibition)
--
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy			EMail:	spl@ncsc.org
NCSC, Box 12732, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709