[comp.sys.sgi] Problems with system tools in 3.2

paul@KAOS.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Ning) (11/22/89)

We have just upgraded our two machines (4D/80GT and 4D/220GTX) to 3.2.
The 80 seems to be happy but we are having difficulties running
some of the utilities in the System Menu on the 220.  Here are the
symptoms :

1) WorkSpace - when selected, the only result is the message
	       "Can't connect with File Access Monitor (fam)"
	       in the console window.

2) Transfer Manager - when selected, nothing happens.

3) System Manager & Confidence Tests - a window pops up, and then goes away.

The /etc/services and /usr/etc/inetd.conf files on both machines are
identical and the executables /usr/etc/fam, /usr/etc/rpc.toolkitbus are
present as well.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Paul Ning
Dept. of Elec. Engr.
Stanford University, Durand 358
Stanford, CA 94305-4035
paul@kaos.stanford.edu

paul@KAOS.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Ning) (11/22/89)

Oops, I found the answer to my last message in an old posting to
this group.

In my last message I wrote,

The fix was given by Robert Viduya <cs.utexas.edu!mailrus!uflorida!stat!vsserv!prism!robert%shangri-la.gatech.edu@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> :

> Just a word of warning: if your SGI machines are being ypserved from
> non-SGI ypmaster (ours is a Sun 4/280) and you're planning on
> upgrading to 3.2, make sure that /etc/services AND /etc/rpc on the
> ypmaster are merged with the versions on the SGI.  Otherwise things
> break, like the new WorkSpace manager.

I fixed /etc/rpc on our ypmaster (a Sun 3/260), rebooted the 4D/220GTX, and
all of the System Menu stuff worked. :)

I still don't know why our 4D/80GT (which is also set up as a ypslave)
didn't have any of these problems before the fix, but, hey, why worry
about things that ain't broke?

Paul Ning
Dept. of Elec. Engr.
Stanford University, Durand 358
Stanford, CA 94305-4035
paul@kaos.stanford.edu

ams@ACM.PRINCETON.EDU (11/22/89)

Paul Ning asks:
>	Subject: Problems with system tools in 3.2
>	Date: Tue, 21 Nov 89 21:44:59 PST
>	We have just upgraded our two machines (4D/80GT and 4D/220GTX) to 3.2.
>	The 80 seems to be happy but we are having difficulties running
>	some of the utilities in the System Menu on the 220.  Here are the
>	symptoms :
>	1) WorkSpace - when selected, the only result is the message
       "Can't connect with File Access Monitor (fam)"
       in the console window.
>	2) Transfer Manager - when selected, nothing happens.
>	3) System Manager & Confidence Tests - a window pops up, and then goes away.
>	The /etc/services and /usr/etc/inetd.conf files on both machines are
>	identical and the executables /usr/etc/fam, /usr/etc/rpc.toolkitbus are
>	present as well.

I know this can happen if you are using yp and your server isn't an SGI box.
I had this same problem, you have to add the following lines to the /etc/rpc
file on your yp server:

sgi_toolkitbus	391001
sgi_fam		391002

Then rebuild the maps (cd /var/yp; make on a Sun) and reboot the SGIs that
don't work.  This should clear up the "can't contact fam" and will probably
fix all of it.

--ams

 Andrew Simms, System Manager
 Program in Applied and Computational Mathematics
 218 Fine Hall, Washington Road                      ams@acm.princeton.edu
 Princeton, NJ  08544
 609/258-5324
 609/258-6227
 609/258-1054 (fax)

W0L@PSUVM.BITNET (Bill Lasher) (11/22/89)

Workspace will also not work on a client if the yp server is an SGI that does
not yet have 3.2, unless you copy /etc/rpc from the client to the server and
re-make.

betsy@vesuvius.esd.sgi.com (Betsy Zeller) (11/23/89)

In article <8911220544.AA00748@kaos.Stanford.EDU> paul@KAOS.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Ning) writes:

>We have just upgraded our two machines (4D/80GT and 4D/220GTX) to 3.2.
>The 80 seems to be happy but we are having difficulties running
>some of the utilities in the System Menu on the 220.  Here are the
>symptoms :
>
>1) WorkSpace - when selected, the only result is the message
>	       "Can't connect with File Access Monitor (fam)"
>	       in the console window.
>
>2) Transfer Manager - when selected, nothing happens.
>
>3) System Manager & Confidence Tests - a window pops up, and then goes away.
>
>The /etc/services and /usr/etc/inetd.conf files on both machines are
>identical and the executables /usr/etc/fam, /usr/etc/rpc.toolkitbus are
>present as well.
>
>Any ideas what the problem could be?

The first possibility that comes to mind is that your yp server has to have
the following lines in its /usr/etc/inetd.conf

sgi_fam/1   stream      rpc/tcp wait    root    /usr/etc/fam            famd
sgi_toolkitbus/1 stream rpc/tcp wait    root    /usr/etc/rpc.toolkitbus toolkitb
usd

After you change that file, you need to bounce the inetd.

kill -1 process# for inetd

This should help things out a lot. Please post again if things are not better.

Betsy Zeller
betsy@sgi.com