[comp.sys.sgi] why separate getpwent routines for YP?

pwolfe@kailand.kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) (12/01/89)

I installed YP (Yellow Pages) on our network this week, and RCS V4.2 commands
started crashing with segmentation faults.  I found (from the getpwent(3)
online manpage) that SGI ships two versions of the "getpw*" calls, one that
understands YP and one that doesn't?  Once I learned this, it was trivial to
fix the Makefile and recompile, but I can't help wonder why anyone would want
to ship (and maintain) two separate versions?

--

        Patrick Wolfe
        System Manager, Kuck & Associates

chk@alias.UUCP (C. Harald Koch) (12/05/89)

In article <8911301944.AA11476@kailand.kai.com> pwolfe@kailand.kai.com (Patrick Wolfe) writes:
>I installed YP (Yellow Pages) on our network this week, and RCS V4.2 commands
>started crashing with segmentation faults.  I found (from the getpwent(3)
>online manpage) that SGI ships two versions of the "getpw*" calls, one that
>understands YP and one that doesn't?  Once I learned this, it was trivial to
>fix the Makefile and recompile, but I can't help wonder why anyone would want
>to ship (and maintain) two separate versions?

This brings up a question I have been meaning to ask: Does SGI compile their
standard UNIX programs with YP support? login works, but it appears that csh
was not compiled with YP; ~user complains "no such user" when that user's
password file entry is a YP reference.

--
C. Harald Koch                        Alias Research, Inc., Toronto ON Canada
chk%alias@csri.utoronto.ca      chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      chk@chk.mef.org

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (12/05/89)

In article <664@alias.UUCP>, chk@alias.UUCP (C. Harald Koch) writes:
> This brings up a question I have been meaning to ask: Does SGI compile their
> standard UNIX programs with YP support? login works, but it appears that csh
> was not compiled with YP;...
>
> C. Harald Koch                        Alias Research, Inc., Toronto ON Canada
> chk%alias@csri.utoronto.ca      chk@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu      chk@chk.mef.org

Almost everything is linked with YP.  Csh has been from the beginning,
since the 4D csh started life as the 3000/2000 csh, which had YP in
3.5/2.5.  (Yes, csh did get re-ported from the 4.3 tape, but that was
latter.)  Most of the 1000's of machines on the SGI network use csh, and we
use lots of YP.  You can check to see if YP is present with
`strings /bin/csh | grep -i yp`.  It would be good to communicate the
details of your problem to the Hotline so that the bug (if any) can be
fixed or the local installation difficulty (if any) fixed.

The only significant exception I can think of is NeWS, which is not linked
with YP.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com