[comp.sys.sgi] 3130 Genlock <-> Lenco

pepke@loligo.cc.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (12/05/89)

Has anybody successfully connected an old 3130 genlock board to a Lenco
sync generator/NTSC encoder?  The Lenco generator has six outputs: BF, SY,
HD, VD, BL, and SC.

Eric Pepke                                     INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute  MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                       SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                     BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

cdshaw@alberta.uucp (Chris Shaw) (12/08/89)

In article <390@fsu.scri.fsu.edu> pepke@scri1.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) writes:
>Has anybody successfully connected an old 3130 genlock board to a Lenco
>sync generator/NTSC encoder?  The Lenco generator has six outputs: BF, SY,
>HD, VD, BL, and SC.

What, no "Video Out" ??
Actually, all this other stuff is the NTSC signal broken into its various
bits and peices, such as Horizontal Sync, Vertical Sync, Blanking, etc...

So, hook Red on Iris to Red input on the Lenco, Red out on Lenco to the
Red input on your monitor. Same for Green, Blue and Sync. On our CCE-850,
inputs are the bottom row of 4 BNC connectors, outputs are the top row.
Hook "Video Output" on the Lenco to Video input on a NTSC monitor, and
it should work.  Works on our 2400 & our 3130.

--
Chris Shaw     University of Alberta
cdshaw@alberta.UUCP

pepke@loligo (Eric Pepke) (12/09/89)

In article <1989Dec8.012013.2466@alberta.uucp> cdshaw@pembina.UUCP (Chris Shaw) writes:
>What, no "Video Out" ??
>Actually, all this other stuff is the NTSC signal broken into its various
>bits and peices, such as Horizontal Sync, Vertical Sync, Blanking, etc...
>
>So, hook Red on Iris to Red input on the Lenco, Red out on Lenco to the
>Red input on your monitor. Same for Green, Blue and Sync. On our CCE-850,
>inputs are the bottom row of 4 BNC connectors, outputs are the top row.
>Hook "Video Output" on the Lenco to Video input on a NTSC monitor, and
>it should work.  Works on our 2400 & our 3130.

You misunderstand.  I thought that my mention of the words "genlock" and
"sync generator" should have made my problem clear.  My problem is not in
getting the RGB into the encoder and producing an NTSC signal.  I can do that
using the internal sync matching just fine, but the quality is low, and I
intend to try the genlock method.  My problem is getting the sync output from
the sync generator into the IRIS.  I only mentioned the outputs that are
relevant to that problem.

So, perhaps I can state the problem in a more detailed fashion.  The Lenco
PGE-843 is a combination sync generator and NTSC encoder, which means that
it does two things--generate sync and encode RGB into NTSC.  My problem is
with that half of the box which generates sync and does not extend to the
other half of the box, except inasmuch as there probably exists an internal
connection to ensure the correctness of the phase of the chroma information.
The sync generator has six sync outputs, which are sync components, and the
IRIS Genlock board has two sync inputs, labeled J7 and J8, which are probably
the same as what are in other places called HSYNC and VSYNC.  I suspect that
the solution is simple and merely involves wiring up a bridge to combine the
six sync outputs of the generator into the two sync inputs to the IRIS Genlock
board.  However, I do not yet know the composition of said bridge, and my
ignorance is compounded by the fact that my documentation to the Genlock board
was lost during a move.

Keith Seto, manager of the technical support group at SGI, has kindly agreed
to send me a copy of some documentation, so I should be well on my way to
solving this problem soon.