[comp.sys.sgi] YP Between SGI and SUN

spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) (12/08/89)

	I just made our new 4D/25 (running 3.2.1) a YP client of a SUN
(3/60, SUNOS 4.0.3).  You need to merge the SUN & SGI versions of
/etc/services, /etc/rpc, and /etc/protocols.  Once you make these
changes it works fine.

	One annoying thing does crop up however.  We have two YP
domains on the same net, and the SGI's rpc.bootparamd will respond to
"Who_am_i" requests from machines in the other YP domain.  The SGI
tells the machine making the request that it is in the same domain as
the SGI.  The machines the SGI responds to are not in the bootparams
map or /etc/bootparams.  I don't know a lot about the protocol, but is
suspect this is a bug.  To work around, comment out the rpc.bootparamd
line in /usr/etc/inetd.conf.
--
"The World" - Public Access Unix - +1 617-739-9753  24hrs {3,12,24}00bps

jweldon@renegade.sgi.com (Jack Weldon) (12/13/89)

In article <1989Dec7.190143.25284@world.std.com> spike@world.std.com (Joe Ilacqua) writes:

>	I just made our new 4D/25 (running 3.2.1) a YP client of a SUN
>(3/60, SUNOS 4.0.3).  You need to merge the SUN & SGI versions of
>/etc/services, /etc/rpc, and /etc/protocols.  Once you make these
>changes it works fine.
>
>	One annoying thing does crop up however.  We have two YP
>domains on the same net, and the SGI's rpc.bootparamd will respond to
>"Who_am_i" requests from machines in the other YP domain.  The SGI
>tells the machine making the request that it is in the same domain as
>the SGI.  The machines the SGI responds to are not in the bootparams
>map or /etc/bootparams.  I don't know a lot about the protocol, but is
>suspect this is a bug.  To work around, comment out the rpc.bootparamd
>line in /usr/etc/inetd.conf.
>--

I appologize if this has gone out twice--the first was posted 2 days ago and
never showed up...We are in agreement here. Bootparamd should not answer
"who_am_i" requests if the machine calling isn't in the /etc/bootparams
file on the SGI. Engineering has fixed the bug and made it available to
Product Support.  I have installed the patched rpc.bootparamd.Z (in compressed
format) on sgi.sgi.com (192.26.61.106--login: anonymous, passwd: guest)
in the directory sgi/src. Don't forget to set mode to "binary" before
transferring, and then uncompress the .Z file. The patch will be put into
the next possible maintenence or full release.  Thanks for the info!!

Jack P. Weldon
System Engineer--Product Support Engineering