[comp.sys.sgi] vax win/tcp -> sgi session lockup

YATES@A.CHEM.UPENN.EDU ("YATES, JOHN H.") (12/13/89)

I telnet to sgi machines (IRIX 3.2) from a vax (VMS 4.5) running
win/tcp (3.2) software.

A SEVERE problem is WHATEVER I map to intr causes
an irrecoverable lockup of win/tcp. The only thing I can do
is log into another port on the vax and kill the process to
free things up. Here is my current stty line in .login.

stty line 1 erase '^H' kill '^U' intr '^C' echoe
                                 ^^^^^^^^^
                                the problem

Has anybody seen/solved this annoying problem?
Please reply directly to me, I requested a subscription last
week, but nothing has come through yet.

Thanks, John
yates@a.chem.upenn.edu

fsfacca@LERC08.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (12/14/89)

 "YATES, JOHN H." <YATES@a.chem.upenn.edu>  writes:

> I telnet to sgi machines (IRIX 3.2) from a vax (VMS 4.5) running
> win/tcp (3.2) software.
>
> A SEVERE problem is WHATEVER I map to intr causes
> an irrecoverable lockup of win/tcp. The only thing I can do
> is log into another port on the vax and kill the process to
> free things up. Here is my current stty line in .login.
>
> stty line 1 erase '^H' kill '^U' intr '^C' echoe
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^
>                                 the problem
>
> Has anybody seen/solved this annoying problem?
> Please reply directly to me, I requested a subscription last
> week, but nothing has come through yet.

I had never seen it before, as I usually telnet to the VAX from an SGI machine.
However, to see if I could reproduce what you have done, I did an rlogin to
VMS 5.1-1, then telnet'ed to IRIX 3.2 -- Anytime I did an intr (no matter what
key I mapped it to) telnet locked up.

I also tried telnet'ing to IRIX 3.1D and the same thing happened.  I can't tell
what version of WIN/TCP we are running on the VAX (I think its 5.0?)

Have you tried anything with the -o option on the WIN/TCP telnet command?  The
manual says you can set the remote interrupt to something other than ^C, or
override this by using a "big number" as the parameter.  I couldn't figure this
out easily.

Also, if I first rlogin to the VAX then telnet back to the SGI machine, I can
use the tilde-period (~.) abort sequence which also kills the VAX process.

Just thought I'd let you know that Wollongong hasn't singled you out.  I would
think that a problem of this nature is probably something we are doing and not
a bug in their software.   Let me know if you hear anything more.

Tony.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov