[comp.sys.sgi] help needed with distcp

fsfacca@AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (12/21/89)

I am trying to install 3.2 from a server on the net.  The machines are properly
configured (I can read from a remote tape).  I need to know the prom monitor
command to access the remote distribution directory.  The manual says the format
should be:

	boot -f $tapedevice(sash.ip6) --m     (page 3-14)

It doesn't specify what tapedevice should be set to.  The remote server is
called "avelon".  So I try:

	setenv tapedevice bootp()avelon:/dis_directory/

but this wont work because there is no "sash" program (its called "sa").  I've
tried every variation I can think of.   The closest seems to be:

	boot -f bootp()avelon:/dis_directory/sa --m

This gives the message I am looking for ("Obtaining /distribution_dir from
server avelon"), but complains about inappropriate byte order.  That's
probably because I can't figure out how to tell it that I want sash.ip6

I am going to call the hotline, but if anyone has been here before, I'd
appreciate a reply.

Thanks.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca@lerc08.lerc.nasa.gov

jweldon@renegade.sgi.com (Jack Weldon) (12/27/89)

In article <8912211321.AA00221@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov> fsfacca@AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:

>I am trying to install 3.2 from a server on the net.  (via remote tape drive)
>
>	boot -f $tapedevice(sash.ip6) --m     (page 3-14)
>
>It doesn't specify what tapedevice should be set to.  The remote server is
>called "avelon".  So I try:
>
>Tony Facca

I'm not sure what manual you are looking in, but in the 4D1-3.2 Release Notes,
Page 2-13, in the section for installing via a remote tape drive, it says:

"Set the 'tapedevice' environment variable as shown in the example below.
Replace 'remotehost' in the command line below with the name of the remote
computer"

	setenv tapedevice bootp()remote_host:/dev/tape

Then boot the standalone shell 'sash' from the tape on the remote computer.
Replace CPU with your appropriate CPU type (IP4, IP5, IP7...):

	boot -f $tapedevice(sash.CPU) --m

So, for a 4D70GT loading from machine blitzen, the commands would be:

	setenv tapedevice bootp()blitzen:/dev/tape
	boot -f $tapedevice(sash.IP4) --m

Hope that helps.

Jack Weldon
SGI Product Support

donl@glass.wpd.sgi.com (donl mathis) (12/27/89)

In article <8912211321.AA00221@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov>, fsfacca@AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:

> I am trying to install 3.2 from a server on the net.  The machines are properly
> configured (I can read from a remote tape).  I need to know the prom monitor
> command to access the remote distribution directory.  The manual says the format
> should be:
>
> 	boot -f $tapedevice(sash.ip6) --m     (page 3-14)
>
> It doesn't specify what tapedevice should be set to.  The remote server is
> called "avelon".  So I try:
>
> 	setenv tapedevice bootp()avelon:/dis_directory/
>
> but this wont work because there is no "sash" program (its called "sa").  I've
> tried every variation I can think of.   The closest seems to be:
>
> 	boot -f bootp()avelon:/dis_directory/sa --m
>
> This gives the message I am looking for ("Obtaining /distribution_dir from
> server avelon"), but complains about inappropriate byte order.  That's
> probably because I can't figure out how to tell it that I want sash.ip6
>
> I am going to call the hotline, but if anyone has been here before, I'd
> appreciate a reply.

I'm not sure what manual you are referring to, but i thought we had the
documentation pretty well straightened out.  Here are a couple of things
you might want to be aware of:

1) When creating the distribution directory, remember that the standalone
tools, including sash and the miniroot, appear only on the eoe1 tape; the
others have placeholder files full of nulls.  You must use "-n" on all but
the eoe1 tape to prevent overwriting your "sa" file with small files full
of zeros.  Check the size of sa in your distribution directory; it should
be something like 15Mb long.  If not, use distcp to reload your eoe1 tape
to get the proper tools.

2) In the proms,

	setenv tapedevice bootp()avelon:/dis_directory/sa

and then

	boot -f ${tapedevice}(sash.IP6) --m

being careful to use caps for the IP6 suffix.  That should think for
a minute, and then "dot dot dot" as it copies the miniroot onto your disk,
at which point it will boot automatically and come up in inst.
--

- donl mathis at Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Mountain View, CA

donl@sgi.com