[comp.sys.sgi] X11 and GL windows

dan@meritaus.UUCP (Dan Haug) (01/12/90)

Sorry for the extreme ignorance, but if I am running an X11
application on one half of the screen, is it possible to have
a standard GL program running on the other half? (e.g. can
I still do winopen()'s?).  Or is it the case that I cannot
have X windows side-by-side with a GL application.

thanks,

dan haug
UUCP: ...Uunet!Sequoia!Meritaus!Dan

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (01/12/90)

     Are you saying two separate windows, from two separate executables?
If so, I can't see why not.  Now if you are saying an X11 window and a
GL window from the same executable, that may be interesting.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

ciemo@bananapc.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) (01/12/90)

In article <366@meritaus.UUCP>, dan@meritaus.UUCP (Dan Haug) writes:

> Sorry for the extreme ignorance, but if I am running an X11
> application on one half of the screen, is it possible to have
> a standard GL program running on the other half? (e.g. can
> I still do winopen()'s?).  Or is it the case that I cannot
> have X windows side-by-side with a GL application.
>
> thanks,
>
> dan haug
> UUCP: ...Uunet!Sequoia!Meritaus!Dan

If you are not running an X window manager like uwm, you should be
able to run GL application windows side-by-side with an X application.
(I'm running xrn at this very moment while running a wsh (a GL application)
with vi in it to post this message.) 4Sight can handle GL, NeWS, and
X applications simultaneously.

If you bring up an X window manager while running 4Sight, only the
currently running X applications will be visible, the rest are hidden
behind the X window manager background.  If you bring up an xterm, you
can initiate a GL application like clock which will appear on top of
the X window manager, however, the GL application is not managed by the
X window manager.  Moving the GL application window around will cause a
damage event to be passed to the X window manager and all of it's
clients causing everything to redraw.  The X window manager is like one
big fullscreen application to 4Sight.

						--- Ciemo

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (01/13/90)

In article <9001112326.AA11088@aero4.larc.nasa.gov> you write:

>If so, I can't see why not.  Now if you are saying an X11 window and a
>GL window from the same executable, that may be interesting.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>	Brent L. Bates
>	NASA-Langley Research Center

We are looking at doing exactly that.  Has anybody tried it already?
If I am succesfull (or even if I am not :-) ) I will post our results
to the net.

Combining X Windows and GL graphics would be very useful, at least until the
time that SGI releases an interface builder toolkit, mainly because it is
easy to build good user interfaces with the Athena widget (buttons, fields,
and such).
Also, portability may come into play (although the GL routines wouldn't be
portable, one would have to wait for 3D extensions to X Windows).

--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu - Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
		IF YOU CARE ENOUGH TO READ SIGNATURES ...