[comp.sys.sgi] elementary problems

gajhede@nbivax.nbi.dk (M.Gajhede Dept. Phys. Chem. HCO, Copenhagen DK) (01/16/90)

I have just got a 4D/20 and have a few elementary problems, that I hope
someone will answer for me:
1. Is it impossible to create an anonymous account ? Sysadm says
max 8 characters, and modifying passwd manually makes telnet work
but ftp does not know the user.

2. I get an error from the windows server when trying to log in
after creating a resolv.conf file:
domain dk
nameserver 129.142.96.42
no problem to log in from telnet connected terminal

3. Trying to set up smtp using the manual shows discrepancies between
the decribed sendmail.cf and the one on the system tapes. Can smtp use
names from a remote server ?

Help would be appreaciated
Michael Gajhede Dept of Chem. Phys. Copenhagen university
michael@kl4vax.ki.ku.dk

LES@SLACVM.BITNET (Len Sweeney) (01/17/90)

> 2. I get an error from the windows server when trying to log in
> after creating a resolv.conf file:
> domain dk
> nameserver 129.142.96.42
> no problem to log in from telnet connected terminal

The News server does a case-sensitive comparison between a list
of allowed hosts ("newshost show") and the node name returned
by your name-server in response in an inverse lookup from your
internet address.  The easy solution is to make the name-server
name match the case the SGI expects.

gregc@cgl.ucsf.edu (Greg Couch) (01/18/90)

Enclosed are context diffs to remove the case sensitivity of hostnames
in the NeWS server.  I have reported this problem to Mark Callow of SGI
and he said it will be fixed in the next release.  The context diffs
were produced by /usr/lib/rdiff (from the dev.sw.rcs software product)
which is amazing like the 4.3 BSD diff program.  Use the patch program
to install the fixes (or do it by hand).

	- Greg Couch
	gregc@cgl.ucsf.edu
-----
*** init.ps.SGI	Fri Aug 25 17:51:50 1989
--- init.ps	Sat Jan  6 23:05:32 1990
***************
*** 691,696
  } def
  /&main {go! DebuggingServer? {executive} if} def

  /RemoteHostRegistry 100 dict def	% list of hosts allowed to connect to server.
  RemoteHostRegistry localhostname true put
  RemoteHostRegistry /localhost true put

--- 691,698 -----
  } def
  /&main {go! DebuggingServer? {executive} if} def

+ /canonicalizehostname { canonicalizehostname strToLower } bind store
+
  /RemoteHostRegistry 100 dict def	% list of hosts allowed to connect to server.
  RemoteHostRegistry localhostname canonicalizehostname cvlit true put
  RemoteHostRegistry /localhost true put
***************
*** 692,698
  /&main {go! DebuggingServer? {executive} if} def

  /RemoteHostRegistry 100 dict def	% list of hosts allowed to connect to server.
! RemoteHostRegistry localhostname true put
  RemoteHostRegistry /localhost true put
  RemoteHostRegistry (localhost) canonicalizehostname cvlit true put
  /NetSecurityWanted true def		% false if everyone is allowed to connect

--- 694,700 -----
  /canonicalizehostname { canonicalizehostname strToLower } bind store

  /RemoteHostRegistry 100 dict def	% list of hosts allowed to connect to server.
! RemoteHostRegistry localhostname canonicalizehostname cvlit true put
  RemoteHostRegistry /localhost true put
  RemoteHostRegistry (localhost) canonicalizehostname cvlit true put
  /NetSecurityWanted true def		% false if everyone is allowed to connect
***************
*** 713,719
  		/ConnectionNumber ConnectionNumber 1 add store
  		/ProcessGroup ConnectionNumber def
  		exch pop exch pop dup
! 		getsocketpeername /OriginatingHost exch def

                  % See if OriginatingHost is in the Registry
                  RemoteHostRegistry OriginatingHost known

--- 715,721 -----
  		/ConnectionNumber ConnectionNumber 1 add store
  		/ProcessGroup ConnectionNumber def
  		exch pop exch pop dup
! 		getsocketpeername canonicalizehostname cvlit /OriginatingHost exch def

                  % See if OriginatingHost is in the Registry
                  RemoteHostRegistry OriginatingHost known
*** util.ps.SGI	Fri Aug 25 17:51:54 1989
--- util.ps	Sat Jan  6 23:05:35 1990
***************
*** 263,268
      pop
  } def

  %
  % Mac-like bounding box graphics procs.  Very useful for edge-critical drawing.
  % The graphics prinitives are rects, ovals and round rects.

--- 263,280 -----
      pop
  } def

+ /UpperCaseDict 26 dict def
+ UpperCaseDict begin
+ 	(ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ) { dup def } forall
+ end
+ /strToLower {   % string => string
+ 	[ exch          % put string arg after [
+ 		{
+ 			dup UpperCaseDict exch known { 32 add } if
+ 		} forall
+ 	] cvas
+ } def
+
  %

jweldon@renegade.sgi.com (Jack Weldon) (01/18/90)

In article <310@nbivax.nbi.dk> gajhede@nbivax.nbi.dk (M.Gajhede Dept. Phys. Chem. HCO, Copenhagen DK) writes:
>I have just got a 4D/20 and have a few elementary problems, that I hope
>someone will answer for me:
>1. Is it impossible to create an anonymous account ? Sysadm says
>max 8 characters, and modifying passwd manually makes telnet work
>but ftp does not know the user.

No, it is not impossible--see the documentation in the TCP/IP manual for
creating an anonymous ftp account.  You cannot do this for telnet.
My 3.2 TCP/IP manual has the info on Page 4-15.  It works just fine.

>2. I get an error from the windows server when trying to log in
>after creating a resolv.conf file:
>domain dk
>nameserver 129.142.96.42
>no problem to log in from telnet connected terminal

Sounds like the window server is not getting the correct resolution from DNS.
Use nslookup(1C) to determine what your nameserver is responding with.

Jack Weldon
System Engineer
SGI Product Support

spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) (01/18/90)

In article <2919@odin.SGI.COM> jweldon@renegade.sgi.com (Jack Weldon) writes:
>In article <310@nbivax.nbi.dk> gajhede@nbivax.nbi.dk (M.Gajhede Dept. Phys. Chem. HCO, Copenhagen DK) writes:
>>2. I get an error from the windows server when trying to log in
>>after creating a resolv.conf file:
>>domain dk
>>nameserver 129.142.96.42
>>no problem to log in from telnet connected terminal
>
>Sounds like the window server is not getting the correct resolution from DNS.
>Use nslookup(1C) to determine what your nameserver is responding with.

This sounds similar to a problem that's been driving us bats here.  Maybe
someone can help:

Our machine goes graphically catatonic when the nameserver dies on us.  If a
person is already logged on and has several windows open, everything still
works in the already opened windows, but no new windows may be created.  It
seems that every time a new wsh is spawned, the wsh has to look up who it is
running on so that it can talk to the window manager.

If you are not logged on and attempt to do so, the screen will blank, a white
cursor arrow will appear for a moment or two, and then the screen returns to
the login prompt with a message to the effect that the window manager has
exited with an error (or status, I don't recall the precise wording) code of
1.  Effectively, the machine become useless, graphically, until the nameserver
returns from the dead.

Is there any easy (or not so easy) way to make the machine default back to
host tables or in some other manner figure out who it is so that it can open a
graphic window?

BTW, we have a 4D/280GTX running 3.2.  We have the idiot pandora stuff turned
off at login and don't use WorkSpace if we can avoid it (I could rant at
length about turning a powerful computer into a Macintosh, but I'll leave it
at for an experienced UNIX user; e.g., one with more than five minutes
experience, silly graphical interfaces are more of a hinderance than a help).

Thanks and mumble, mumble.

							spl (the p stands for
							President of Pandora
							Haters, Unanimous,
							supercomputing
							division)

--
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy	(919) 248-1120		EMail:	spl@ncsc.org
NCSC, Box 12732, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (01/19/90)

In article <12806@cgl.ucsf.EDU>, gregc@cgl.ucsf.edu (Greg Couch) writes:
> Enclosed are context diffs to remove the case sensitivity of hostnames
> in the NeWS server.  I have reported this problem to Mark Callow of SGI
> and he said it will be fixed in the next release.  The context diffs
> were produced by /usr/lib/rdiff (from the dev.sw.rcs software product)
> which is amazing like the 4.3 BSD diff program.  Use the patch program
> to install the fixes (or do it by hand).

The case sensitivity problem has been fixed and the fix will appear in the
next release.  Canonicalizehostname converts all hostnames to lower case.

/usr/lib/rdiff is the diff program for rcs and is essentially the 4.3BSD diff.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

In article <6094@alvin.mcnc.org>, spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) writes:
> Our machine goes graphically catatonic when the nameserver dies on us.  If a
> person is already logged on and has several windows open, everything still
> works in the already opened windows, but no new windows may be created.  It
> seems that every time a new wsh is spawned, the wsh has to look up who it is
> running on so that it can talk to the window manager.

Both wsh and the NeWS server use the host database access routines documented
in section 3 of the manual.  These routines go to the nameserver if you
have a /usr/etc/resolv.conf file.  There is nothing that wsh or NeWS can
do to prevent this.

wsh looks up localhost and probably doesn't have a problem as long as you
have software loopback correctly configured.  But when NeWS receives the
connection request is does a getpeername(3) followed by a gethostbyaddress(3)
to determine the name of the host attempting to make the connection.
This is almost certainly the lookup that fails.

> If you are not logged on and attempt to do so, the screen will blank, a white
> cursor arrow will appear for a moment or two, and then the screen returns to
> the login prompt with a message to the effect that the window manager has
> exited with an error (or status, I don't recall the precise wording) code of
> 1.  Effectively, the machine become useless, graphically, until the
nameserver
> returns from the dead.

The NeWS server looks up its own hostname using gethostbyname to find its
official name.  This status message means that the lookup failed.  (There
is an fprintf right before the exit that explains the problem.  For reasons
I don't yet understand the message fails to appear.)

> Is there any easy (or not so easy) way to make the machine default back to
> host tables or in some other manner figure out who it is so that it
can open a
> graphic window?

I don't know of any in release 3.2.  In the next release there is a new
call sethostresorder which essentially lets you define a search path for
resolving host database queries.  You can be sure I will modify the NeWS
server to use this call.  It will then try the /etc/hosts file when the
nameserver fails.

> BTW, we have a 4D/280GTX running 3.2.  We have the idiot pandora stuff turned
> off at login and don't use WorkSpace if we can avoid it (I could rant at
> length about turning a powerful computer into a Macintosh, but I'll leave it
> at for an experienced UNIX user; e.g., one with more than five minutes
> experience, silly graphical interfaces are more of a hinderance than a help).

Personally I love pandora but then I hate typing.  I also like using
WorkSpace but we all know it leaves something to be desired when doing software
development.  The first release was only ever intended to support users
running applications.  Future releases will have features to support software
developers.  I also find the visual adminstration tools very helpful especially
the printer tool.  Before that I was always seeking out our printer expert
to ask him how to do what I needed.  Now I can do it myself.  I was
a system adminstrator for several years but that system V lp stuff is
simply awful and my brain refused to learn it.  I'm so glad we've hidden it.

Do you hate all graphical tools?  We have some really neat ones coming.
Don't miss out.
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
"There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."

mjz@texhrc.UUCP (Michael Zeitlin) (02/01/90)

    does anybody know of an icon-builder "tool" that is available
    for the iris?

     a 60x60 bit-map editor would be great......

     michael Zeitlin at  uunet!nuchat!texhrc!mjz

      thanks....

thant@horus.esd.sgi.com (Thant Tessman) (02/01/90)

In article <381@texhrc.UUCP>, mjz@texhrc.UUCP (Michael Zeitlin) writes:

>     does anybody know of an icon-builder "tool" that is available
>     for the iris?
>      a 60x60 bit-map editor would be great......

>      michael Zeitlin at  uunet!nuchat!texhrc!mjz

Check out 'imged'.  You should have an online manual page for it.

thant