[comp.sys.sgi] Proper TERM via telnet

meyer@gorgo.ifi.unizh.ch (Urs Meyer) (02/02/90)

In article <9001312017.ab19659@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> JORDAN@gmr.COM writes:
>From time to time, I access my 4D70 via telnet with a VaxStation 3500.
>Does anyone out there know how the proper tset configuration so that
>when I login via telnet, the terminal type will be vt100.
>
>Presently on the Vax when I do a "tset -", it returns "unknown".
>thanx. tp mugabi-jordan

Below is the beginning of my .login file. We use qterm (comp.sources.unix,
Volume 11) to query (intelligent) Terminals for their types.

This kind of settings expects that the term variables are correctly set
when you login using telnet.  Some programs propagate them.

I'm using almost the same .login file on 4.3BSD, SunOS 4.0.3 and Ultrix,
except for the stty line.

PS: Unfortunately, iris-ansi terminals do no longer answer the ANSII
query escape code. (I think it worked with mex, not sure about 4sight 1.0)

------

stty line 1 erase '^H' kill '^U' intr '^C' echoe

if ( ! ${?term} ) set term = `tset - -I -Q`

if ( $term == "unknown" || $term == "network" ) then
        set term = `/usr/local/bin/qterm -a`
endif
if ( $term == dumb ) then
        set noglob; eval `tset -s -Q '?concept'`; unset noglob
else
        set noglob; eval `tset -s -Q`; unset noglob
endif

------

Urs Meyer ---------- meyer@ifi.unizh.ch, {uunet,...}!mcsun!cernvax!unizh!meyer
University of Zurich, Dept of Computer Science, Multimedia Lab, CH-8057 Zurich