[comp.sys.sgi] rtar, rdump on SGI's

pa1081@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (pa1081) (02/06/90)

I would like to do central administration on our SGI's by backing
them up and doing all tape operations through our alliant FX/80
which has a 1/2" tape drive.  When I called sgi customer support,
they informed me that this would not be possible (due to byte swaps
and such).

The question is, does anyone know of a way or public domain routines
that allow tape operations over the network between SGI Personal
IRIS's and 4.3bsd systems like the Alliant?  Please let me know....

Steve Diggs
{uunet, ucsd}!photon!steve

lamy@cs.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (02/06/90)

pa1081@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (pa1081) writes:

>The question is, does anyone know of a way or public domain routines
>that allow tape operations over the network between SGI Personal
>IRIS's and 4.3bsd systems like the Alliant?  Please let me know....

Tar and friends should be easy, since you can always resort to
tar cf - blah | rsh remote -n 'dd of=/dev/ninetracktape obs=126b'
where the options to dd allow you to byteswap to your heart's content
and reblock to a reasonable size.  Strike one for customer support.

With respect to rdump, the problem is that SGI's file systems are not BSD, so
you need a version of dump that understands EFS.  It is easiest to use a
different output format than the normal 4.3BSD, and have a restore program
that reads that format (the program be compiled on non-SGI machines to restore
SGI partitions elsewhere).  The person who wrote it here mumbled something
about being able to generate straight 4.3BSD format at some cost in
programming and overhead, but his current dump and restore are good enough for
our purposes (a couple dozen diskful machines from n manufacturers dumped over
the net to a pair of exabytes -- heck, even Apple supports rdump :-)

We can't give away what we have here because of the terms of our source
license, but one would hope that eventually SGI will come to its senses
and support what is a common practice in organizations where it is unfeasible
to have "everyone expected to manage their own diskful workstation".  The
official party line appears to be "bru to a private tape drive".  If that's
not what you want, by all means tell SGI.  At least we're not alone :-)

My sinuses are congested and my head is going to explode,

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@cs.utoronto.ca, uunet!cs.utoronto.ca!lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

wood@acf4.NYU.EDU (David Wood) (02/07/90)

	The other option which has been mentioned here before is to
	get a hold of gnutar.  We use it here and were able to recover
	from a pretty much fully wiped out disk.  You can pick up the
	compressed tar with anonymous ftp from cmcl2.nyu.edu (128.122.128.2)
	in pub/iris/sgigtar.tar.Z.  I forget, the binary may already
	be included.  If it is, it was compiled on a 4D/80GT under 3.1B.
	We haven't had to recompile under 3.2 though.  Good luck.

 David Wood					wood@acf2.nyu.edu
 New York University				...!uunet!cmcl2!wood
 212-998-3029
 		"Brain. Brain. What is brain?"
			Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain", Stardate 5432.3

sgf@cs.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) (02/08/90)

In article <7032@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> pa1081@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (pa1081) writes:
>I would like to do central administration on our SGI's by backing
>them up and doing all tape operations through our alliant FX/80
>which has a 1/2" tape drive.  When I called sgi customer support,
>they informed me that this would not be possible (due to byte swaps
>and such).

Huh? Why? What do they think byteorder(3N) does? Accessing a remote bsd-tape
from an SGI is a lot more straightforward than reading random foreign tapes
on local drives.

eg,

tar cf - /unix | rsh sun dd of=/dev/rst0
rsh sun tf /dev/rst0
rsh sun dd if=/dev/rst0 | tar tf -
tar cf - /unix | rsh sun tar tf -

all work thanks to byteorder(3N).