[comp.sys.sgi] Immediate respone to a pick hit

mcad@shamash.cdc.com (4614) (02/07/90)

  I would like to get an immediate response, while in select mode, to a
  selection hit.  That is:

     1) I enter select mode

     2) I traverse my display list drawing entities one at a time

     3) After drawing each entity I check a flag;  If a hit has occured
        the flag is set and I can stop traversing my display list

     4) After getting a hit I exit select mode and process my pick_buffer

  Anybody tried this?  Anybody have any ideas?

LES@SLACVM.BITNET (Len Sweeney) (02/08/90)

I did try watching the pick buffer array, hoping that hits would appear
as they occurred.  No such luck.

Is there a nice way to make a whole character string pickable?  getcpos()
doesn't seem to return useful information when in gselect mode.