[comp.sys.sgi] Turning Off Ipforwarding on Irix 3.2

tom@fangorn.gsfc.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Schardt) (02/08/90)

Our network management wants all UNIX workstations that are not
performing routing functions (99.9% of the machines on base) to
turn off ipforwarding.  Unforunately, SGI sets ipforwarding as
the default.  I have read "Kernal Configuration" in the Irix 3.2
System Administrator's Guide, and I have determined that the
following procedure should rebuild the kernal with ipforwarding
off:

   % su
   # cd /usr/sysgen/master.d
   # cp bsd bsd.old
   # vi bsd
      change
	      int ipforwarding = 1;
	      int ipforwarding = 0;
      ZZ
   # cd /usr/sysgen/boot
   # cp bsd.a bsd.a.old
   # lboot -u /unix.install
   # cd /
   # cp unix unix.orig
   # sync
   # sync
   # reboot

   When /etc/rc2.d/S95autoconfig is run and the following prompt appears,
   answer 'y':

      Automatically reconfigure the operating system?

Is this the correct procedure?  Also is there any way of determining if
the ipforwarding flag is off in a given kernal file?
Tom Schardt                        Bitnet:    K4TDS at SCFVM
NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center   Internet:  K4TDS@SCFVM.GSFC.NASA.GOV
Code 632                           Opinions expressed are my own and do not
Greenbelt, MD 20771                necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer

brendan@illyria.wpd.sgi.com (Brendan Eich) (02/08/90)

In article <818@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, tom@fangorn.gsfc.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Schardt) writes:
> [procedure used to turn off ipforwarding]
>    # cd /usr/sysgen/boot
>    # cp bsd.a bsd.a.old

I don't see any point in making a backup copy of bsd.a.  Lboot doesn't
touch it, it merely calls ld to link from it.

>    # lboot -u /unix.install
>    # cd /
>    # cp unix unix.orig

You can do the lboot after making the backup copy of /unix by invoking

/etc/init.d/autoconfig

This is probably "safer" and likelier to work in the future.  If you had
rebooted without running lboot, this script would have been run via its
/etc/rc2.d/S95autoconfig link (ain't System V.3 aesthetic?), and lboot
would have noticed the new-ness of the /usr/sysgen/master.d/bsd file and
reconfigured a kernel.

>    # sync
>    # sync
>    # reboot

Sync before reboot is a superstition on modern Unixes.  The reboot system
call code does an extremely effective internal sync (and if it doesn't, it
is broken and we want to know!).

>    When /etc/rc2.d/S95autoconfig is run and the following prompt appears,
>    answer 'y':
>
>       Automatically reconfigure the operating system?
>
> Is this the correct procedure?  Also is there any way of determining if
> the ipforwarding flag is off in a given kernal file?

Try 'dbx -k /unix /dev/kmem' and then 'p ipforwarding' to dbx.

Brendan Eich
Silicon Graphics, Inc.
brendan@sgi.com

tom@fangorn.gsfc.nasa.gov (Thomas D. Schardt) (02/08/90)

Sorry folks...Andrew Cherenson of SGI pointed out that ipforwarding is
only used if more than one Ethernet controller is online.  I know, "Read
the comments more closely that's what we put them there for."  Thanks
for the quick reply Andrew.